171w ago - Once and awhile something very cool slips by unreported, and today that happens to be the ZeroGame v0.50 multi-console emulator frontend for PS3 Linux (YDL) via OtherOS- sorry PlayStation 3 Slim owners.
Created by ZeroJay, below is a video of it in action demonstrating the following videogame consoles emulated at these timestamps:
GameBoy Advance (GBA): 0:58, GameBoy (GB): 1:32, Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (MAME): 2:05, TurboGrafx-16 (TG-16): 2:41, Sega Genesis: 3:19, Super Nintendo (SNES): 4:01 and the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES): 5:10.
To quote from the video's caption: "In this video I am testing out The zerogame project created by zerojay. The project is a confluence of a number of different programs working behind the scenes on top of an optimized install of yellow dog linux 6.2.
The great aspect of this project is that the only effort required by you is to install yellow dog linux then install The Zerogame Project; that is it. No hunting down various emulators for various systems then tweaking and configuring each.
No configuring bluetooth for the sixaxis or dualshock 3. No need to learn a new operating system. Just follow zerojays txt guide. After the install you dont even need to touch a keyboard every thing can be controlled from the 6A/DS3. Note: the program is in beta at 0.5 so it still has kinks and is a work in progress."
From the ReadMe file: Zerogame is a bash shell script that will take a freshly installed copy of Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 on your PS3 and with a few minutes and occasional input from you will give you one good emulation box that you can boot up whenever you feel like playing some classics.
What do I need?
• Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 freshly installed on your PS3
• A working internet connection
• An HDTV that supports 1080p or 720p (480p/i and 576p/i support in the future)
• A wired USB keyboard
• One or more Sony Sixaxis/Dualshock3 controllers
How do I install zerogame?
1) Format your PS3 hard drive and allot at least 10GB of hard drive space to OtherOS. Create a backup, format and restore the backup afterwards if you don't want to lose any PS3 data. You will need an external USB drive for your backup, if you need to do one.
2) Download and burn the Yellow Dog Linux v6.2 ISO to a DVD
3) Install the Yellow Dog Linux bootloader to the PS3
4) Install Yellow Dog Linux v6.2 to your PS3 with the default options
You can disable Office & Productivity software set for faster installation of YDL.
5) Boot into Yellow Dog Linux.
There is no need to create a user. Firewall can be enabled or disabled, makes no difference.
6) Once post-installation setup is complete and you are at a graphical login screen, swap to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and login as root and type in your root password.
7) Run the following command to update YDL to fix the Bluetooth bugs:
yum update && reboot
8) Run the following command to download the zerogame script
9) Decompress the tarball using the following command:
tar zxvf ./zerogame-0.50.tar.gz
10) Make the installation script executable with the following command:
chmod 755 ./install-zerogame.sh
11) Run the script with the following command:
12) Follow on-screen prompts
13) Reboot before use
How do I use zerogame?
After the installation and once the PS3 has rebooted, you'll need to put your ROMs in the correct places for Wahcade to find them. At this time, the directories are preset and aren't changable without directly editing the .ini files for each system. (See http://bugs.zerojay.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7 for more info.)
At this point, here is where zerogame expects the ROMs to be:
In the current theme, artwork1 is shown in the box at the top left and artwork2 is shown in the box at the middle left. Video previews replace artwork1 in the top box after a few seconds, if they can be found.
Once the games are installed and you're ready to start using zerogame, unplug everything from your PS3's USB ports except for your USB keyboard.
Fluxbox will startup with an all-black background (to be changed in the future) and then launch Wahcade. Once Wahcade is running, you can turn on your PS3 controllers at any time by pressing the PS button on the controller. Wahcade will immediately index the games for the currently open system and then present a list of games for that console for you to select from.
As you scroll from console to console using the L1 and R1 buttons, Wahcade will index the games in each system's associated ROM directories and bring up a list. This indexing only happens once.
(Note: The indexing for MAME can take a VERY long time depending on how many ROMs you have in the set. As it indexes the games, it will appear to have frozen or crashed, but this is not the case. Indexing a full MAME ROM set takes me between 20 and 25 minutes and again, will only happen once.)
You should then be able to select any game from the list and be able to play it. Zerogame will attempt to scale the game to fit your screen while maintaining the same aspect ratio. It most likely won't completely fill up your screen but Zerogame will do its best.
To quit back to Wahcade from the emulator, press the PS button on the first controller.
To return to the PS3 GameOS, press the PS button on the first controller while in Wahcade.
What exactly is installed?
Software repositories added:
• PS3 Bodega
• wahcade (emulator frontend)
• mednafen (multisystem emulator, used for NES/TG-16/GB/GBC/GBA)
• sdlmame (tweaked SDL version of the MAME arcade emulator)
• sdlmame-tools (various tools for sdlmame)
• pygame (required for Wahcade joystick control)
• fscaler (tweaked scaler program, uses SPEs for scaling image)
• snes9x-gtk (snes9x with GTK GUI)
• portaudio (sound server used by snes9x-gtk)
• xe (multisystem emulator, used for Genesis)
• xorg-x11-utils (required by the scaler scripts)
• fluxbox (very lightweight window manager)
• gstreamer-python (required by Wahcade for music/previews)
• gstreamer-plugins-good (various plugins for gstreamer, used for music/previews in Wahcade)
• gstreamer-plugins-bad (various plugins for gstreamer, used for music/previews in Wahcade)
• gstreamer-plugins-ugly (various plugins for gstreamer, used for music/previews in Wahcade)
• gizmod (handler for joystick to keyboard control)
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
LOL I went out of my way to find a ps3 with 3.15 on it thinking that if you installed linux on it before you updated the firmware you would be good. Now I'm doubly pissed!
Where the heck does sony get off?? How did they NOT think someone was going to try and hack it? I remember some scare about ps2's being capable of hacking satellites, and they didnt plan on making it impossibal? WTF?
More over where do they get off taking away an advirtised feature? Why doesn t the USA have the same oritection the europeans have with holding manufacturerers accountable for advirtising claims?
Why dont they just make a security update to fix the hole?
So now I'm left with 2 playstations, one of whoch I was planning on selling. So now I'm left with deciding to keep both so I can have one mega (NON-ONLINE!?!) playstation that can play EVERYTHING but no online features and keep the second playstation to play online.
But that just defeats the purpose. The main reason I want it is for the games but I've been dying to play a really good emulator made for TV that works perfectly with controllers.
The whole reason I got the backwards ps3 was so I could play all my games on one console, but sony now screwed me personally. Now sony is talking about charging for the PSN! HAHA! The one reason left for people to purchase the more expensove system and they're talking about screwing that up.
Is sony trying as hard as they can to be a modern sega? Why are they still makingg PS2 games? What in the world made them think people would buy movies on UMD? Cool? Yes, but will it work? No.
I your PS3 has higher firmware installed than 3.15 then basically there is (currently) NO way back / downgrade and you'll be not able to install / use linux on it. The same goes if you'd install linux first and then upgrade to 3.21 or 3.30 fw - linux on your PS3 will be not accessible anymore.
Hey all, i have a few problems... i am new to linux and the ps3... however i am not new to the game... i've been running softmod xboxs for a long time. my problem is after i format my 60 gig run the installer and boot back up yellow dog freezes at "starting install process" the one time i was able to get it to go through i installed everything including zerogame loged on as zerogame and then it would just sit there and reset the screen over and over again... any i ideals?
K well i got that figured out. It is running but i still dont know how take the roms from my desktop on my laptop and put them on ydl 6.2 or zerogame?
nevermind.. figured it out sorry to waste the space!