290w ago - The PlayStation 2, being known as a Japanese console, was famous for the amount of Japanese and Western RPGs in it's library. With games like Kingdom Hearts I, Kingdom Hearts II, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Wild Arms 3, Final Fantasy X, and Suikoden III, and more in it's library, it was the premier console for RPG fans.
Today, the PLAYSTATION 3 features a little amount of RPGs. Some would not even be considered an RPG, even though it is listed in that genre. Lets go down a list of currently released RPGs for the PLAYSTATION 3, or games listed as an RPG.
Those are about it. Over a year and a half, the PLAYSTATION 3 has been in our homes and we've only been catered to about one or two good RPGs. Although, we have a great line-up of RPGs coming "sometime" in the future. Lets take a look at that list.
- Alpha Protocol (Q1 2009)
- Amphibian Man (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Borderlands (2009)
- Cross Edge (Exclusive) (2009)
- Disgaea 3 (Exclusive) (2008)
- Elveon (2009)
- Eternal Sonata (Stolen Exclusive) (2008)
- Fallout 3 (October 2008)
- Final Fantasy XIII (Exclusive) (2009)
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Exclusive) (2009)
- Free Realms (Exclusive) (Q3 2008)
- Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)
- Gothic IV (2009)
- The Last Remnant (2008)
- Rise of the Argonauts (2008)
- Shin Megami Tensei PS3 (Exclusive) (2009)
- Star Ocean 4 (Exclusive) (2009)
- Steambot Chronicles 2 (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Sunrise Eiyuutan PS3 (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Two Worlds (Stolen Exclusive) (2008)
- Valkyria Chronicles (Exclusive) (November 2009)
- White Knight Chronicles (Exclusive) (2009)
Then there are all the projects yet untitled (all exclusive):
Now as you can see, the PLAYSTATION 3 has the majority in exclusives. My only downs are not having Mass Effect, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery on the system. The only thing I wonder is: why is it taking so long to deploy these RPGs?
As of now we are stuck with shooting (mostly), racing, action, adventure, fighting, and puzzle titles. Need some motivation? Here is my $60 bucks.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
I've noticed that with the upgrades in technology there have been a few developers who have been trying to upgrade RPGs along with it. I mean, that much is obvious, why wouldn't they make RPGs better... but what I mean is that they're taking actions like melding RPGs with FPSs to appeal to a larger crowd.
We've already seen it happen in a lot of games in the past: FPSs where you can upgrade your character's weapon's and armor's levels. Skill upgrades, etc. Hopefully we can get more games out like Deus Ex, which I still quite enjoy.