- Today a video has surfaced showing a new PS3 Slim being thrown at 50mph into one of Sony's latest Bravia LCD TVs.
The stunt is part of Sony Australia's [Register or Login to view links]
promotion, and those interested can see it in slow-motion below.
To quote from the video's YouTube page: Sony has literally put to the test what happens when you bring BRAVIA and PlayStation 3 together. In the first-ever, controlled conditions test of its kind, the new PS3 slim-line console has been catapulted into a BRAVIA LCD TV.
Fast facts on the crash test:
• PS3 Trajectory: Parabolic
• Impact Speed: 80km/hr = 22m/sec
• Mass of PS3: 3.2kg
• Kinetic energy of PS3 at point of impact: 774.4 joules
• PS3 deceleration: 246.9g = 2420 m/sec squared
• Force of PS3 on BRAVIA TV screen: 7744.0 newtons = 790.2kg force
• Sled deceleration: 40.0g = 392m/sec squared
• Force on sled: 470400.0newtons, 48000kg force = 48 tonnes force
• One 25kg metal bar stops the sled at the end of the track. A new bar is needed for every test
• Track speed: 80km
• Launch angle: 5 degrees
• Sled weight: 1.2 tonnes
• Track length: 60 metres, speed reaches 80km at 1 metre before impact
• Length PS3 travels when released: 3.19metres
• BRAVIA TV is mounted 2 metres from wall