196w ago - Available on September 1st, PlayStation Network Operations Director Eric Lempel has detailed PS3 Firmware 3.0 via PlayStation Blog, as follows:
PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we're excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3.
First, you'll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We've enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it's easier and even more intuitive to use.
We've also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience. Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:
• "What's New" - The "Information Board" will be replaced with a "What's New" section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, "What's New" displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
• Status Indicator - In the top right corner we've added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
• Friends List - Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends' respective profiles.
PlayStation Store Shortcuts - We've added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
• Personalization - Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
• Trophies - Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories--base trophies and add-on trophies--that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.
To get a preview of what's coming in update 3.00, check out the video.
We're looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
They have plenty of time to release more updates for more features folks. why are people treating this update as the "final update"? seriously, they have not even announced "all" of the features of this firmware update anyway. so those expecting cross-game chat shouldn't whine until after the update is actually released.
i know there's not going to be backwards compatibility, but if you want backwards compatibility why not just go out and buy a ps2? i still have mine and haven't complained for day one. i never even used my ps2 since i bought my ps3 however.
point is, the firmware update isn't released, and how many people noticed they have not showed any of the new friends list features? think about that; don't complain.