251w ago - Neobara of the GT Forums (linked above) has shared the following allegedly leaked PS3 Firmware 2.7 details today:
Anyway, A friend of mine works in an R&D department at Sony and recently let me in on the firmware details for 2.7. If you were disappointed with 2.6, you'll probably like what you're about to hear, but it's still missing some very crucial (and heavily requested) features. Here's a list of the things he told me will be changed:
Friends List: • Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
• Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
• Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.
Gamer Card & Trophies: • Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.
• Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting "Recent Trophy History" option.
• Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background
• Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.
In-Game XMB: • Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.
• "Theme settings" options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
• Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
• Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
• Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.
Misc: • Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.
Seems like there is still no word on cross-game invites, but I think the integration of Home (as small as it is) into the rest of the Playstation experience is still a step in the right direction. The update is pretty big but he said it would hit sometime in Q2 of '09.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
Voice chat in game! Well Finally Sony listen's to me (and 5 million other peoples).
I really couldn't care less about the in game web browser, but I know why they did it. They have constantly been behind the competition since this generation started. They mess up all the time and miss their opportunities to be the first out with these ultra cool features. They can't wait for Microsoft.
So if this is all true, I can finally open a voice chat contact with my friend(s) via ps3 and use it all the time when playing different games, not playing at all etc. ?
I was just wondering what happends in games which have their own voice chat enabled, I'm not sure if I can just turn it off from all of the games when I have voice device enabled (which have to be enabled to use voice chat). Probably both programs can't use the voice device at the same time, but maybe there is some kind of override policy involved ?
It is also interesting to see how much online capasity the chat would use (bps / response time increasement). Hopefully the chat can adjust its parameters dynamically depending of resources of the moment.