222w ago - Neobara of the GT Forums (linked above) has shared the following allegedly leaked PS3 Firmware 2.7 details today:
Anyway, A friend of mine works in an R&D department at Sony and recently let me in on the firmware details for 2.7. If you were disappointed with 2.6, you'll probably like what you're about to hear, but it's still missing some very crucial (and heavily requested) features. Here's a list of the things he told me will be changed:
Friends List: • Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
• Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
• Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.
Gamer Card & Trophies: • Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.
• Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting "Recent Trophy History" option.
• Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background
• Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.
In-Game XMB: • Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.
• "Theme settings" options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
• Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
• Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
• Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.
Misc: • Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.
Seems like there is still no word on cross-game invites, but I think the integration of Home (as small as it is) into the rest of the Playstation experience is still a step in the right direction. The update is pretty big but he said it would hit sometime in Q2 of '09.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
If the person is hopelessly stuck what should they do? Put the game down and never play it again? That ruins the whole game... I've been stuck in a game before with a poorly worded faq at my side, and still not get past the dungeon. The game was Star Ocean 3 and I'm still unsure of how to get past it. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch and I need to start a new game.
Hm, I didn't really have slow loading in-game XMB -- though it may have been the games I play The fact that non-usable items are grayed out is actually quite useful... how often haven't I had to say 'no' to the question if I have to quit the game?
I don't know but it seems to me like some of you think that the voice messaging is actually in-game voice communication (like private chat on xbox360) maybe I'm wrong but I'll just clarify anyway that Voice messaging will be simply the alternative to sending your PSN friend a text message in-game.
so basically you talk for a max. time of 30 seconds and send the message to your friend it wont be a constantly open communication line to your friend, and to try use this feature as voice communication in-game would just be annoying as you'd constantly be accessing the XMB to listen to these voice messages.
now this is definitely a right step in getting some proper communications in-game but for now we'll have to make do with what we've got.