212w ago - It's been quite some time since we had an update on PS3 MegaBox (or similar frontends) primarily because Sony removed the OtherOS and Linux options from the PS3 Slim.
However, yesterday DemonHades (linked above) experimented with installing the latest PS3 MegaBox Linux Media Center via USB pendrive.
That being said, those who wish to revisit PS3 MegaBox can grab the recently released version 2.1 Final (1.3GB in size) from Spanish site Megalandia along with some compatibility and multilanguage fixes.
For those curious, PS3 MegaBox v2.1 has the following features, roughly translated:
• It turns your PlayStation 3 into a complete system multimedia.
• It takes advantage of to the maximum the possibilities your video console.
• It transforms the television into your main maintenance center. It enjoys like in your PC, but from the comfort of your hall.
• It accedes to Internet, electronic mail, films and videos in network, series, music... unloading thousands of gratuitous games.
• Programs of office, work with documents "Office" in their television.
• By very little, it secures a pile of new applications directly installed in your PlayStation 3 and without effort.
• It supports practically to any format multimedia (except that they produce a high consumption of resources, example. HD video).
• Recording and pause of TV (experimental, card of TV not including).
• Installation and very simple handling from the control (gamepad).
MegaBox v2.1 Media Center PS3 Information to unload installation:
1. v2.1 ISO unloads the MegaBox file.
2. Grab in a DVD with any program of recording that has supported files ISO but to the slow speed.
3. It introduces the DVD in your PS3 and loaded the OtherOS file that comes in the DVD.
4. It reinitiates his PS3 in another Operating system and prepares for the installation, control PS3 to being without his connected cable USB.
5. Button PS of its control beats.
6. It selects in the starting the DVD and is comfortable.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
In my opinion all linux distros (this is just another flavor) are at the current state just for show, nothing of real uselfulness is possible on them...
I mean yeah you could edit files, listen to music and all, but sooner or later you will run into a show stopping bug (I cannot use my Bluetooth mouse with Ubuntu for a year now...). And with Sony just cutting out the OTEROS from the slims did a lot of damage for the PS3 Linux Supporters...
I for one I'm one of them but... well I'm using it a lot less now! (don't want my media center to be cluttered with cables! and a Wired Keyboard is ENOUGH for me!)