226w ago - It's been a few months since the last PS3 Media Server update and the official Blog isn't updated yet, however, shagrath has been handling updates via the forums linked above and has shared a new build over the weekend.
For those who didn't know, PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
To quote: From now on, I'll try to keep updated the following space with the latest build from the trunk, both Windows and Linux versions. Keep in mind these builds are not tested extensively.
Changelog (r356 and r350):
• Case insensitive files order
• *.txt subtitles files
• oma and aa3 atrack files playable on ps3
• Fixed slow a/v out of sync on xbox360
• Pseudo chapters interval support via #Transcoded folder
• Better XBMC and FreeboxHD support
• Fixed http server stop
• Fixed bug in the transcode buffer handling (+10 minutes FLAC files / Radio)
• Tiny media library admin web interface
Official Changelog (not much detailed):
Changes / Features
• Externalization of PS3/Xbox playback profiles, it's now possible to create profiles for any media renderer
• Includes preliminary support for Sony Bravia, Popcorn Hour, Samsung Wiselink, Freebox HD
• Handling of UTF8 and UTF16 encoding, and case insensitive external subtitles
• CUE playlist support
• Pseudo chapters support via the #Transcoded folder
• DVD ISO thumbnails
• Updated tsMuxeR binaries (better H264 camcorders support)
• Windows: Launcher now detects Java 64 bits if installed
• Windows: Updated mencoder/mplayer/ffmpeg builds
• OSX: tsMuxeR and FLAC binaries are now available in this build, this adds a lot of features on Mac which were previously only available on Windows or Linux (like DTS and remux support)
• OSX: iPhoto and iTunes library support (thanks to Pedro Simoes)
• OSX: Native look, now looks like a Mac application
• OSX: Updated mencoder/mplayer/ffmpeg builds, support for FriBidi
• OSX: Updated build script to make a bundle or dmg automatically (thanks to Josh Klun)
• New translations: Czech (thanks to Mila), Danish (thanks to Niclas Gleesborg), Slovenian (thanks to Rob Wall)
• New and experimental HTTP engine: better media renderer support / no more random sound cuts when playing mp3s
• Fixed slow a/v out of sync on Xbox360 ?
• Media library major speed and size improvements (you may have to reset the library)
• Improved fix for the stopped videos issue
• Better support for mkvs with NTSC video track
• Fixed spaces usage in the audio/subtitles configurations
• Fixed black screen with some AVC videos badly flagged at L4.1
• Fixed cover art files not always read
• Fixed bug with multiple playlist in one folder
• OSX: Reopening of the main window after you closed it is now possible, also fixes start as minimized (thanks to grcvoodoorush)
• OSX: Configuration file now stored outside of the bundle so that you don't lose your settings when you upgrade to a new version (thanks to grcvoodoorush)
• OSX: Unicode files are now playable (thanks to Thierry Pittet)
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
I agree by 110% i have used several media server in the past they have all been a pain and quite fankly pos when i your new server i thought will this be the same or different? So then i said what the hheck il give it a go.. so i did and it is by far the best media server for the playstation.