• Support for Blu-ray 3D
• 'Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity' - New icon [Music]. Although this service is not yet available, the icon will be shown in this section.
• Control 'Direct Pointer' in the browser via PlayStation Move.
• PlayStation Plus User Interface in the PlayStation Store updated.
• 3D Display to warn of 3D content.
• Calibration of PlayStation Move motion control will be possible the menu [Game]
• Reports about users may be sent from your PS3 through the message options on the tab [Friends]
• 14 of the most common mistakes have been extended with a description of the problem and possible solutions.
• Access to your Facebook profile via PS3 through [Allow access profile] available at [Account Management]
Sony has announced at TGS 2010 that the PS3 Firmware 3.50 update will arrive next week on September 21, and include 3D Blu-ray movie support as expected according to Engadget (linked above).
To quote from Examiner.com on this PS3 3D movie enabling system software update:
"Originally it was planned for a late October release, but Sony has bumped it up a month early and PS3 owners with 3D TVs should be excited about this.
While there may not be a large selection of 3D titles available for purchase today, this update shows that the PS3 is truly 'future proof'. With 3D gaming supported and soon movies, Sony is showing the PS3 can adapt to the market and support new changes and ideas."
Finally, Sony's Network Operations VP Eric Lempel has stated the following, to quote:
"We know that many consumers have purchased 3D TVs already and more of you will be purchasing them as the holidays approach - so we're excited to offer this firmware update that makes all 38 million PS3s worldwide compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs.
This new feature expands the PS3's 3D capabilities - as you may recall, we added the ability to play stereoscopic 3D games with the 3.30 firmware update in April.
While support for Blu-ray 3D discs is the primary new feature within the 3.50 update, there will be a few additional features. We'll post more details on the blog prior to the firmware's release, so check back here on Monday."
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
when it comes to mkv's why not just buy a stand alone media player, like oplay or wdtv live. those things are so cheap. along with a external hard drive. takes up less space than a ps3. back on topic... i don't think 3D is gonna last very long... it failed in the 80's and 90's... it will fail again.
Why to split? You can eaither stream it from your PC / NAS or use FTP to transfer file of ANY size to internal PS3 hard drive. Also - there is plenty media server applications which convert and streem MKVs to PS3 on the fly