Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 Firmware 3.21 Coming April 1st, Disables OtherOS Feature!


Sponsored Links
252w ago - Today Sony's Sr. Director of Corporate Communications & Social Media Patrick Seybold has confirmed that PS3 Firmware update 3.21 is coming on April 1, 2010 and will disable the OtherOS feature!

To quote: The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the "Install Other OS" feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009.

This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the "Other OS" feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the "Other OS" feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
• Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
• Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
• Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the "Other OS" feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the "Other OS," as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services: http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/

800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)





Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene and PlayStation 4 scene updates and fresh homebrew PS3 Downloads. Enjoy!

Comments 124 Comments - Go to Forum Thread »

• Please Register at PS3News.com or Login to make comments on Site News articles.
 
#114 - red8316 - 252w ago
red8316's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
Yes but after a new FW is released all future games are then bound by the new TOS as outlined by that update. So if you choose not to update, but wish to play a game that is released a month later, then you need to agree to the new TOS because that game has had to adhere to the same TOS before being released.

Once FW 3.21 is released on April 1st, any game that is released after April 1st is bound by 3.21's TOS. Since your system hasn't agreed to those terms then you either agree to them to play the game, or you don't agree to them and remain bound by the TOS you agreed to (whatever FW your on) and continue playing games which are bound by those terms.

The same also applies to any services that are provided by Sony to your PS3 such as VidZone, PSN and the Playstation Store.


Do you agree that it's a twisted move by Sony to remove the Other OS option from us fat owners? I do realize though that you're being the devils advocate to cut down on peoples "I'm gonna sue Sony" dreams and to point out the fine print.

#113 - saviour07 - 252w ago
saviour07's Avatar
Yes but after a new FW is released all future games are then bound by the new TOS as outlined by that update. So if you choose not to update, but wish to play a game that is released a month later, then you need to agree to the new TOS because that game has had to adhere to the same TOS before being released.

Once FW 3.21 is released on April 1st, any game that is released after April 1st is bound by 3.21's TOS. Since your system hasn't agreed to those terms then you either agree to them to play the game, or you don't agree to them and remain bound by the TOS you agreed to (whatever FW your on) and continue playing games which are bound by those terms.

The same also applies to any services that are provided by Sony to your PS3 such as VidZone, PSN and the Playstation Store.

#112 - moneymaker - 252w ago
moneymaker's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
yes, so that still makes the update optional. You've even said it in your own argument "You get a choice" and that choice is accept the new FW update or don't accept it. The FW does not force you to install it as soon as the PS3 is switched on, and it doesn't restrict you from still using your PS3 if you don't accept the update. So it is an optional update.

Yes, but if you will buy 1 week or month afterwards a game that needs an updated firmware it becomes mandatory to install it AND to accept the new agreement, otherwise you've bought a game that you cannot play.

If you wish to download a DLC it becomes mandatory.

If you wish to play online it becomes mandatory.

If you have credit onto a PSN account it could be a big mess to have it back if you don't loose it at all if you cannot accept.

If you buy a movie that requires an online connection it becomes mandatory.

It's optional my rear.. It could be simply an unfair, awful, useless move.. that many ones will not forgot with ease...

#111 - aries2k6 - 252w ago
aries2k6's Avatar
Man, I'm getting itchy for April 1st to come around. Lol, this has to be a sick joke... Maybe the JST time = jest, I'm still hoping anyway.

I've been on PSN downloading alot of demos and anything that's free and downloadable. I don't plan to update if it's true. I'll hold off as long as I can. It's not the online but eventually a game I want will force me to update.

#110 - red8316 - 252w ago
red8316's Avatar
So what happens a couple months down the road when a new game comes out and requires 3.21 or higher to play it? It won't be optional then. Dragon Age forced me to update from whatever I had a few months ago, forget from what to what. But the point is, I did not have a choice if I wanted to play the game. And most all places that I know of will not accept returns on open video games.

As I would see it, it's optional if you no longer intend to play online with PSN, visit the online store, or play new games you buy in the future.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

#109 - saviour07 - 252w ago
saviour07's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
When I called the person I talked to tried to convince me it is optional. It is not. You get a choice: the ability to play new games that come out, or the ability to use Linux. You don't get both even though that is what they advertised and what you paid for.

yes, so that still makes the update optional. You've even said it in your own argument "You get a choice" and that choice is accept the new FW update or don't accept it. The FW does not force you to install it as soon as the PS3 is switched on, and it doesn't restrict you from still using your PS3 if you don't accept the update. So it is an optional update.
Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Also remind them that this is fraud. They marketed a product and you paid for it under the false pretense that it would do the things they said it would. Sony knows that they are will get sued over this....

Even more importantly, if they win, electronics companies will be able to remove core functionality from their devices whenever they want for any reason with minimal if any notice.

For these last two points I'm just going to direct you to here... [Register or Login to view links]

because it has everything in there that tells you why you're wrong

#108 - Kraken - 252w ago
Kraken's Avatar
If you want to do something about this, then do it. The phone number is right on the website: 800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY). You can make thousands of posts here, but the only way Sony will know how pissed we are about this is for them to actually hear you! You can press 0 at the menus to talk to a person. Try to convince them that they can still save face by playing this off as an April fools joke.

When I called the person I talked to tried to convince me it is optional. It is not. You get a choice: the ability to play new games that come out, or the ability to use Linux. You don't get both even though that is what they advertised and what you paid for.

Also remind them that this is fraud. They marketed a product and you paid for it under the false pretense that it would do the things they said it would. Sony knows that they are will get sued over this. They look at some bloated "every pirated copy is a lost sale" figure and ignore the few million dollars a loss in court would cost. Even more importantly, if they win, electronics companies will be able to remove core functionality from their devices whenever they want for any reason with minimal if any notice. I truly believe that that is what Sony is after with all of this.

The PS3 is piss poor at everything. The only thing that made it even remotely worth anywhere near the $600 they charged for it was that it did lots of things. Now it is losing half of its functionality. Functionality that we paid for. Remember, the PS3 didn't have any good exclusives its first two years. OtherOS was its huge selling point. I seriously did buy the PS3 for it. I may not use it often because of how bad they gimped it, but I do use it; more than I play the 3 good games for the system in fact.

Lastly, here is a Ken Kuteragi quote on the $600 price tag: "It's probably too cheap ... This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap -- we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines. Because the PS3 is like nothing else." Read that to the people on the phone, ask them what they think about it.

#107 - red8316 - 252w ago
red8316's Avatar
For those who are looking for PS3 Proxi : [Register or Login to view links]

#106 - Pretikewl - 252w ago
Pretikewl's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by Progeria View Post
but crackers won't upgrade so it would only affect users who don't try to crack it..


Lol, ever hear of DRM?

Legit Customer: Invasive software, limited installs, ridiculous circumstances just to play the game (Assissns Creed 2 or Command & Conquer 4 anyone?)

Pirate: Unlimted installs, no DRM, no invasive software, no conditions to play the game, clean and easy.

Who Suffers Most: Legit Customer

You'd think companies would start to realize this. And they wonder why piracy is on the rise...

#105 - Progeria - 252w ago
Progeria's Avatar
sounds just like a stupid joke.. remove otheros for "security concerns", aka to secure their system from getting cracked? there is no other reason is there? there are no security concerns for users, only for sonys cashflow?

what's dangerous about a ps3 that have otheros? can it cause fires? there are no security concerns for the end user, only for sony them selves. but crackers won't upgrade so it would only affect users who don't try to crack it..

 

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links







Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News

Sponsored Links