269w ago - The Official UK PlayStation site has published an article detailing ALL of the features included in PS3 system software update 2.50. It reveals that support for DivX VOD is included.
[DivX¬® VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings].
You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3 system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX¬® VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system.
To quote: If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.50 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.50, you will need a minimum 140Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Main features in system software update version 2.50
The account creation screens under [Sign Up for PlayStation¬®Network] and the menus under [Account Management] have been redesigned.
Other new or revised features in version 2.50
• You now have an option to set the PS3 system to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has been completed. This option is available when you are turning off the system under [Users] > [Turn Off System] while content is being downloaded or installed.
• [BD/DVD Settings] has been renamed as [Video Settings].
• Under [Video Settings], the [Cinema Conversion] and [Upscale] options have been renamed as [BD/DVD Cinema Conversion] and [BD/DVD Upscaler], respectively.
• [Sequential Playback] and [50 Hz Video Output] have been added as options under [Video Settings].
• [DivX¬® VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings]. You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3 system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX¬® VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system. For details, visit divx.com/vod/ • [Power Save Settings] has been added as an option under Settings. To save power, the PS3 system and Wireless controllers can be set to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.
• Under [Accessory Settings] > [Audio Device Settings], the method for reconnecting Bluetooth¬® devices has been changed.
• Under [Accessory Settings] > [Keyboard Type], you can now choose the following keyboard types: [German Keyboard (Switzerland)], [French Keyboard (Canada)] and [French Keyboard (Switzerland)].
• In the keyboard layout for [German Keyboard], the "Y" and "Z" keys have been switched and the "Q" and "A" keys have been switched.
• Under [Printer Settings] > [Printer Selection], you can now select printers that support network connectivity. You can also select HP printers using the [HP] option.
• You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel (or the mini-size control panel).
• [Pause] has been added as an icon on the mini-size control panel.
• You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel.
• [Scene Search] has been added as an option on the control panel.
• You can now use the [Mosquito Noise Reduction] setting for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. Use this setting to reduce mosquito noise that appears on the edges of visual images.
• During BD (BDAV) and DVD playback, a technique known as "chroma upsampling" is now automatically selected based on the movement of objects within the video content and then applied to enhance images in the content.
• [Sync with Server] has been added as an option under [Trophy Collection].
• By pressing the PS button while playing PLAYSTATION 3 format software, you can now view information from the [Settings and Connection Status List] option under [Network Settings].*
* This feature is not available for use with some PLAYSTATION 3 format software.
• Support for Adobe¬® Flash¬® Player 9 has been added to [Internet Browser].*
* "Adobe" and "Flash" are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
• The way to disable the automatic sign-in option and the way to sign out from PlayStation¬®Network have been changed.
• In PlayStation¬®Store, the design of the [View Downloads] and [View Cart] buttons has been changed, and a [Redeem Codes] button has been added.
• This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
• The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PLAYSTATION 3.
• Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
• Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site.
If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
I just found the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) support after upgrading to 2.50 version.I am going to test the registration procedure as so as the posibillity to watch some VOD stuff... I post my findings here ...
How to register your PS3 for DivX VOD (Video on Demand) ??
Here is a little guide:
1. Go to http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/player/
2. Download DivX player
3. Install DivX Player (just Player needed, other options such as Codecs, etc.can be dissabled)
4. Run DivX Player -> Go To Menu "Tools" -> choose "User account..."
5. Window will pop up -> Click "Create account..." another dialog box apperas
6. Fill in the form -> then press "Create account" -> check the box to remember password and email (it will keep you signed for next time
7. Wait for confirmation email (should come shortly to your email address)
8. Click on confirmation link in The confirmation email in your mailbox.
9. Open DivX Player again
10.Go To Menu "Tools" -> Select "Device manager..."
11.Select "Register device" button -> Select device "Sony" -> click "Next" button
12. Enter Registration code /it can be found on your PS3 XMB under Settings -> System settings -> DivX® VOD Registration Code/
13. You can name it also (b.g. myPS3 )
14. It creates "myPS3.divx" video file with unique code which needs to be played on your PS3.
15. Now it gives you 2 options to either burn the video file or to save it to the disk for later use. /source folder of the file is written on the bottom of the window/
16. Burn it, copy to flashdisk, or download it to your Playstation3.
17. Run the video on PS3.
18. That's all :-)
Hope this help someone
Page 1 of 11
Related PS3 News and PS3 CFW Hacks or JailBreak Articles