186w ago - Although not surprising, today ArsTechnica.com reports that the US Air Force may suffer collateral damage (especially since investing in 300 followed by another 2200 consoles for research) due to Sony's recent decision to remove the OtherOS functionality via PS3 Firmware 3.21 from the PlayStation 3 entertainment system.
However, the Air Force stated they are aware of the recent class action lawsuits against Sony over this matter, to quote:
"We will have to continue to use the systems we already have in hand," a representative told Ars, "but this will make it difficult to replace systems that break or fail.
The refurbished PS3s also have the problem that when they come back from Sony, they have the firmware (gameOS) and it will not allow Other OS, which seems wrong.
We are aware of class-action lawsuits against Sony for taking away this option on systems that use to have it."
Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter and be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene updates and homebrew releases!
I agree and support both laggmaster's and saviour07's opinions and views on this issue.
Although I am curious as to filing a request under the "Freedom of Information We Used to Have Act." Probably nothing will come of it, but again, it would be worth a pester.
The one thing that I do believe is that any deal that might come of the USAF-Sony pact would indeed be kept hush hush, because of the fact that the Japanese hate foreign interference in their politics. As mentioned previously it would not only be economically costly but also PR costly. While they might play it off as the "Personal interests on co-operation with (inter)national securities, bla bla, ultimately the people choose to believe that or say that Sony gave in to the demands of the USAF.
This is all speculation of course, but I just stated my opinion based on what I know about the topic.
I'm actually quite a firm believer that IF a hybrid PUP is created and the next OFW release prevents access to psn for anyone using a hybrid, then a new hybrid can be created to circumvent the new OFW.
My reason being, that once the ability to create a hybrid PUP is known/perfected then anything released by Sony therein will only result in a cat-and-mouse style of FW releases.
The method will remain the same regardless of any new OFW, and if any changes are made to the method via a Sony update, it would not take long before that is circumvented as well.
Obviously it would be nice if spoofing/auto hybrid FW update/OFW update blockers could be included inside any hybrid PUP's created (so constant updating ISN'T required!) but they would all be custom code and not signed by sony and obviously not feasable... but its a nice idea *dreams* lol
True complaining about it is going to get us nothing... but we are on the internet witch is made up of 98% People complaining and adult sites, the other 2% is the actual useful information on the internet, so we best get use to it because its never going to stop...
But sony would never cave to average consumer pressure... if sony dose cave to the USAF then whatever they give them is going to be guarded under high enough security that the public will never get it... but this has already been established previously in the thread now im just being redundant...
If we ever create some sort of "hybrid firmware" chances are that whatever eploit they use will be stopped on the next firmware update...
either everyone can keep wining and bitching about it or you could find a way to fix it...
I think it's gotten to the point now that no matter who sues, moans or complains about OtherOS removal, the story of it's removal and the speculation as to WHY it was removed has snowballed into a well-known story that just to save face Sony wont re-enable it.
If Sony caved to the pressure of the (lets face it) small minority of people who actually use linux on their ps3 (for legitimate reasons) and re-enable it, then whenever a future feature is removed or "tweaked" in such a way that the consumers don't like, the public will know that nagging at Sony may well lead to them going back on themselves and undoing their changes.
That's both costly and a waste of time.
The only way OtherOS will be enabled on the ps3 now will be IF someone manages to create a hybrid FW PUP and *NOT* because of Sony's doing.