Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hi,

Im playing around with some iso's and I'm wondering, why hasnt the UPDATE folder been removed with most isos. It takes up space and can be dangerous if you accidently update your psp.

Are there drawbacks removing the UPDATE folder? And what about the EBOOT.BIN and BOOT.BIN files, can they be removed?

People in this section probably have more experiance with this then me

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I normally apply a patch to rename the UPDATE folder to ZPDATE, so PSP won't recognize it. As this patch doesn't work with some isos, I also rename/remove the UPDATE folder myself with UMDGen[arator] making a safe iso without it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I guess it's because the rippers want to release the most complete rip. If they ripped something, it would become a umdrip. And if you want to release the full iso, the UPDATE folder includes that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Scott
    I normally apply a patch to rename the UPDATE folder to ZPDATE, so PSP won't recognize it. As this patch doesn't work with some isos, I also rename/remove the UPDATE folder myself with UMDGen[arator] making a safe iso without it.
    so it works with out ? the update folder ?

The EBOOT.BIN and BOOT.BIN files located in /SYSDIR are required.

I haven't had any problems from removing the UPDATE folder (/SYSDIR/UPDATE) and it's contents but I can't say for sure it will work for all ISO's. I think generally keeping/removing it is just a matter of personal preference. The only advantage I can think of for keeping it is that you will have the updates if you ever need them and can't find them anywhere else for some strange reason.

The best advice I can give you is make a backup of your original ISO and experiment. You will need to make sure that you import the files into umdgen in the right order. You can do this easily by generating a file list from the original ISO with a utility such as IsoBuster and then import it into UMDGen after you have imported all the files for your new ISO. UMDGen will then make sure everything is in the correct order.
    You can save more space (very little usually) by going to tools -> iso padding and then selecting no padding. I use UMD Standard to be on the safe side... the amount of space saved isn't worth it considering the time that it would take to recompile the ISO if it doesn't work.

If you want to play around with the padding let me know what your results are.

If you have trouble ripping a particular ISO, search google because there is probably a special method required for ripping that ISO.

And if you need a more detailed explanation just give me a shout!

thanks all for the replies and thanks juice777 for the detailed answer

I dont get the order of the files, why is this important? I tried it on 1 iso, removing the UPDATE folder, and saved it again with umdgen, and it worked.

I will be off experimenting now

Hi,

it looks possible to save the file list within UMDGEN 3.02 too (file list export), so perhaps not needed to use Isobuster.

And do you know what is the option : Disable 'Optional Path' Tables ?
    I remember a post somewhere where it was said that some iso's don't work if you forget to check this option.

Tks

Accidental upgrade?! DUH!!!

How the hell would you accidentally upgrade the firmware if you already has 2.71 emulated on your PSP?! duhh!! It will just say 'no need to update blah blah!

and back with the old days of devhook 0.40 where 2.50 is only emulated, i accidentally accessed the update to 2.60, NOTHING HAPPENED! it just says there's an error. so no need to freak out, and besides updating thingy, im sure there will be lots of notifications/warnings before you could really update your PSP. and you really cant update without your AC adaptor plugged in.

spray: Thanks for informing us about exporting file lists with UMDGen... I've been looking straight past that option for months :-). No need for IsoBuster anymore! I don't know what Disable 'optional path' Tables does because I've never needed it, anybody else know?

justido: See djcopey's reply, thats why file lists are needed. It takes almost no time at all to export and import file lists so I prefer to do it everytime to avoid hassles. There is one game that I know this won't work for: Gripshift. It requires a special rip-kit but compressing it works just as well as ripping in this case because of the huge dummy file.

Quote Originally Posted by juice777
    I don't know what Disable 'optional path' Tables does because I've never needed it, anybody else know?
    This option was put into UMDGen v3 to make it easier for users trying to copy the file positions of a VCDROMx generated ISO. VCDROMx doesn't use the optional path.

We've decided to remove this option in the next version of UMDGen - after all, UMDGen is about generating a UMD compliant ISO - which uses optional paths.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News