The only way you can play this without upgrading is to run it on 2.00 (with real UMD) using version changer, but there is no background music.
That is true, that is how I play the game. See, but I have been a fan of SF for 15 years, so the background music missing doesn't bother me. At least you still get all the sounds of fighting and the special moves. That is all I need
Ok... I got tired of trying to wait and I decided to try it out. I was thinking that hey, GTA is requiring Firmware 2.00 to play right? I have another UMD that is the same, which is PoPoLoCrois, so I decided to try it. I tried the same method used for GTA, decrypted PoPoLoCrois (US) first using RunUMD, loaded it, then restarted. I then decrypted Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (US) (push O, then X) then waited for a few seconds, and what do you know. It loaded. There is sound (BGM) while playing as well. Though yes, we cannot save because it cannot locate a memorystick, but hey, this is one step to actually making it work.
So I'm guessing that we dont really need GTA to make this work, but ANY game that requires Firmware 2.0 (or up? Am not sure.). Try it on! (It did freeze when I pushed home to try and get back to my PSP menu)
I actually got RunUMD to work, and it loads the game and play it too. The problem though is that it won't load my game saves. When you are in the game for some reason it can't see the memory card. So It isn't worth playing yet on that program, but it is promising.
Well for one, you just need the latest version available for RunUMD which is version 0.01.01a1.
1) Insert the UMD game (requiring 2.0 firmware. I used PoPoLoCrois (US) for mine).
2) Run the application in your PSP via the Memorystick under Game
3) Push O and wait a few moments while its extracting some files.
4) When its done, it'll ask you to push X. Follow that and wait for the game to load.
5) When the game has finished loading, reset your PSP, or push Home and go back to the main menu.
6) Insert SFA3 Max (I used SFA3 Max (US) ). Fire up RunUMD again.
7) Push O again, and wait till its done extracting some files. When its done, it'll ask you to push X, do so and wait till the game loads.
It should work by that and well, the only problem I've experienced so far is, you cannot save your game because it cant detect the memorystick. And another is, when I try to go back to the main PSP menu via pushing Home, it'll just show me the Please Wait screen while the game is still running in the background. Just turn the PSP off if you wanna quit.