Back in June we mentioned that the PSP was getting a new accessory - the Go!Cam. We'll we managed to get our hands on one to put it through the Varsity 'hot or not' test. Read on to find out how we got on...

The Go!Cam allows PSP owners to seamlessly turn your handheld into a functional and fun camera. The camera simply screws onto the top of the console and can swivel around 180 degress so that you're not only filming yourself. It also offers a built in microphone for picking up audio of course. There's also a hand plastic case to keep the attachment protected which is good as the build quality is on the lighter side.

It comes packaged with very basic instructions and without software. In place a URL is provided for you to go download the Go!Edit software which allows you to do any editing. Using Go!Edit I was able to successfully enhance videos and pics adding in sounds and special effects. Now this isn't ever going to replace Adobe Premiere Pro or the like, but I found the Go!Edit software easy to use and very intuitive. I wouldn't call any of my creations masterpieces so I won't put you through the pain of having to watch me taunting our cat.

It's simple enough to upload your videos and it would have been good to see an upload to YouTube ready option included that are starting to pop up on many digital cameras now. The other gripe I have about the software is that it takes up roughly 200mb of space. So to get the most of it I would recommend a 4gb memory stick otherwise you will find yourself running out of space pretty quickly as you record videos to the capacity of your stick at wither 320x240 or 480x272 at 15 or 30 frames per second. For still pics you have the option of 1280x960 or 320x240 meaning that you only get the aspect ratio of the PSP screen for movies, not photos.

The photos I took can't be classed as high res and I was best to shoot in well lit situations otherwise I ended up with quite dim looking photos. You can tweak include image quality, four simple white balance settings, an exposure adjustment, and five Photoshop-type effects, but the principle of crap in = crap out applies. The PSP has a fantastic LCD screen, but the downside of this is that it shows how grainy the pics turn out with only 1.3 megapixel resolution. Some camera phones are now boasting upwards of 5 megapixels so you would have thought that a bit more punch could have been added in.

Overall, the Sony PSP Go!Cam is a nice peripheral but it will never replace my real digital camera. To get the best quality from the camera, you'll need to be in a well lit area or outside in the daylight. This is best suited for fun, giggles and playing around with. If you don't have a camera on your phone and you carry your PSP around, then this could be worth a look.

CAMERA FEATURES:

Digital zoom.
Swivels to face user or away from user.
Mic on the side of Camera.

PHOTO FEATURES:

Night mode.
Photos can be taken in 340x240, 480x272, 640x480 or 1280x960 resolution.
There are 5 sound effects for when snapping a photo: the standard camera sound, a gunshot sound, some weird cartoon-like sound, a sound resembling the uncorking of a bottle, and a sneezing sound.
Can have a "Narrator" I guess you could say countdown how much time you have left until your automatic photo will be taken.
"Dogwatch" feature. When set in "Dogwatch" mode you can set the camera in a desired place and when something passes it automatically takes a photo.

VIDEO FEATURES:

Night mode.
Option to automatically take a photo every ..5, 1, 10, or 30 seconds. It then compiles these pictures into a 15 second video.
Option to let you take 450, 90, 15, or 4 pictures whenever you want no time limit then it compiles them into a 15 second video.

SLIDESHOW FEATURES:

Has a calendar.
3 background music's. Able to listen to while viewing photos or videos in slideshow.
4 special ways to go from pic-to-pic / movie-to-movie such as fade out or fade out and spin. No special way is also an option.
4 different times in which the photo's switch. 5, 15 seconds or 1, 10 minutes. No time is also an option.
Option to display date when photo was taken.

Sony PSP Go!Cam

More PlayStation 3 News...