Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Haha, I'm already loving your guys' attitude. It should be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm going to lol so hard if it's cracked before the 60 day mark. Sony will probably have a ragefit and take it out on us somehow.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    They might actually get away with it since they have an embedded platform and some of their logic is still obfuscated.

You can't compare embedded platforms with hardware isolation with mainstream ones like x86 that are software isolated. For example SecuROM, Starforce, and Ubisoft DRM will always get reversed within days cause it's all in compliance with the windows PE loader and is loaded in accessible memory.

The hardest x86 DRM right now are all inline VMs with a SDK to develop triggers and resource and import encryption. Ubisoft was the same but with streaming binary structures and content decryption. They actually weren't the first to do that either. The crackers just patched over stuff and injected the stream content.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    60 days? Lol, yeah right, I give them 10 at most.

The title is kinda ironic. I mean ... does that imply that the games will be hackable after 60 days? If so I won't mind waiting for just 2 months period

I made an account just to post this here, IDK if many remember but StarForce (a Russian copy protection for PC witch of course allows unsigned code) was unbeatable for more than a year on one Splinter Cell game and a Prince of Persia game (warrior within I think) and the reason it was defeated was because some of it's source code was leaked.

Also Ubisoft was boycotted to not use the protection and they changed to Securom.

Why does Sony even bother wasting time to develop protection code, when everyone well knows that it will take fewer days to crack it than it took to develop it?

And they're going after a relatively small segment of the PSP market.

If you want to combat piracy, make the product cheap enough that no one can be bothered to steal. And stop challenging hackers. It's always been self-defeating. Copy protection breaking has been around as long as I can remember - early 80's. Not once has a copy protection be created that couldn't be circumvented.

I purchase games legally, because I want the developers to continue creating works of art. But with the prices of some games ($70 for certain PS3 titles in Canada), I'm caught between wanting to help the developers, and the hackers.

And let me tell you, $50 - $70 for an over-hyped crappy low-quality title that has zero replay value, or has bugs that can prevent the completion of the game is far too much. Are you taking notes Ubisoft?

I'm telling you: Sony is not as stupid as people may believe. PS3 is hacked. But have you played ISOs yet?

Same with the PSP. You can still play ISOs of course. But can you enjoy the latest firmware and do so without any other restrictions? Anti-piracy for PSP is slowly evolving. However it is of course a little late. But as already said: Sony ain't stupid. They also do hove the single console which currently doesn't play ISOs after a long period (PS3). So they got the brains - trust me.

Lets see if this actually does anything for game sales..

This actually leads me to a very good idea; potentially one that would make both the industry and consumers happy. What if they put ultra-restrictive DRM on media, but then after 60 days it all went away? That way, piracy wouldn't affect the first 60 days of sales (which are the most important) and then DRM wouldn't affect your permanent ownership of the media like it currently does.

Of course $ony are a bunch of greedy liars and would never actually do something as intelligent as my idea above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Young View Post
    Why does Sony even bother wasting time to develop protection code, when everyone well knows that it will take fewer days to crack it than it took to develop it?

And they're going after a relatively small segment of the PSP market.

If you want to combat piracy, make the product cheap enough that no one can be bothered to steal. And stop challenging hackers. It's always been self-defeating. Copy protection breaking has been around as long as I can remember - early 80's. Not once has a copy protection be created that couldn't be circumvented.

I purchase games legally, because I want the developers to continue creating works of art. But with the prices of some games ($70 for certain PS3 titles in Canada), I'm caught between wanting to help the developers, and the hackers.

And let me tell you, $50 - $70 for an over-hyped crappy low-quality title that has zero replay value, or has bugs that can prevent the completion of the game is far too much. Are you taking notes Ubisoft?
    you are so wrong, the Humble Bundle was a independent developer's 5 game collection in witch you could pay as much as you want for it (from 1 pennie to some thousand dollars) and you could even decide how many percent go to the developers and how many as donations, and was it pirated? of course it was, it was pirated as hell, price is not an excuse neither a problem-solver.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News