Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Scummvm-PSP

Monkey Island 3 on scummVM ? How ?

Hi,

I would like to know who can i get Monket Island 3 to work with SCummVM beta 3, the game is on 2 cds so ... do i have to install it on my pc first and then, put al the files on my psp ?

thanks for helping.

SCUMMVM Beta3 out now - sweet, can now play COMI with correct screen display!

There are still issues with it (COMI that is), but it works.
    (Graphics are a bit slow, speech not matched to anim location properly - probably due to the graphics speed issue though - they are already working on it, its in the readme)

Nice to see they've moved the savegame location too (prevent corrupted icons now WORKS without manually editing the eboot with a hex editor!) - still, i'd prefer to actually specify my own locations - but i can live with it!

I'm never going to update my firmware unless the new firmwares have homebrew too!!!!

What else can i say - SWEEEEEET!

PSPSwampy.

Quote Originally Posted by Him, up there ^^
    Hi,

I would like to know who can i get Monket Island 3 to work with SCummVM beta 3, the game is on 2 cds so ... do i have to install it on my pc first and then, put al the files on my psp ?

thanks for helping

You must have the BETA3 to be able to play COMI.

You will more than likely need to compress the audio & video. there are various tools for doing this - i suggest you go to the scummvm web site and read up about it all.

Basically you need to use "compress_san.exe" and "compress_scumm_bun.exe" on your pc.

initial steps:-
    1. copy both CD's to the same location on your pc (overwrite duplicate files).
    2. Move ALL .SAN & .BUN files into a folder called "ORIGINAL"
    3. Create folder called "COMPRESSED"
    4.. compress all the .SAN & .BUN files:-
    SAN Example (to compress ZAP010.SAN):
    From CMD (start, run, cmd - in XP) navigate to correct directory & type the following and hit enter.
    compress_san.exe ZAP010.SAN "original" "Compress"

BUN Example (to compress VOXDISK2.BUN):
    From CMD (start, run, cmd - in XP) navigate to correct directory & type the following and hit enter.
    compress_scumm_bun.exe VOXDISK2.BUN "original" "Compress"

5. Move all the files in "Compress" dir back to where the SAN & BUN files were originally (NOT the "ORIGIANAL" Folder!!)
    6. Delete "Original" & "Compressed" folders
    7. Copy to everything to PSP

8. setup scummVM to play the game.

Hope this helps,

PSPSwampy.
    Last edited by PSPSwampy; 07-22-2005 at 10:05 PM Reason: moved from different thread to this one, so slight update.

Hello when i try to compress the .bun and .san files from CMD it won't work.
    I go to my "original" folder (where i have my bun/san files in) and type e.g. compress_scumm_bun.exe VOXDISK2.BUN "original" "Compress".
    But my cmd gives some sort of a error "that compress_scumm_bun.exe is not a internal or extrenal programm". (I am dutch and have a dutch windows xp, so sorry for my translation)

Could somebody please tell me what i am doing wrong? I went to the Scumm site and can't find any thing that could help me with this.

Swampy, where did u find the "compress_scumm_bun.exe" tool. Its not in the v7 toolpack and I can't find a download. Maybe they replace it with something else?

No worries Futura2000 - that's by no means a full tutorial, but should help get people started on the right track.

(you can always google for the compression utils, which should bring up loads more info! - http://www.mixnmojo.com is a good site to check out too)

If anyone needs more help just ask, there are loads of people here who can help!

Quote Originally Posted by skyline
    Hello when i try to compress the .bun and .san files from CMD it won't work.
    I go to my "original" folder (where i have my bun/san files in) and type e.g. compress_scumm_bun.exe VOXDISK2.BUN "original" "Compress".
    But my cmd gives some sort of a error "that compress_scumm_bun.exe is not a internal or extrenal programm". (I am dutch and have a dutch windows xp, so sorry for my translation)

Could somebody please tell me what i am doing wrong? I went to the Scumm site and can't find any thing that could help me with this.
    You need to navigate your dos window (CMD window) to the folder which contains the "original" & "Compress" folders and run the command from there (sorry i didn't specify that in my original post)

Quote Originally Posted by james06
    Swampy, where did u find the "compress_scumm_bun.exe" tool. Its not in the v7 toolpack and I can't find a download. Maybe they replace it with something else?
    I got mine ages ago, but i'm pretty sure its included in the SCUMMVM quick and easy (ScummvmQ+E) which you should find easily with google (its on the mixnmojo site).
    (click on the icon on the top left and then select check for update and download the daily build - which should have all the latest tools)

Its also worth noting that you will probably need to move the two compression utils into your main comi directory, along with LAME (an mp3 compression util which is used by these tools)

If i get time later, i will write up a full tutorial for you, with step by step instructions. (but don't hold your breath as it will not be up for a while as i'm busy tonight!)

I hope this helps you in the mean time.

PSPSwampy.
    PS. COMI is VERY slow with music and speech on, and because of the screen size the mouse is very slow. it IS playable, but you have to be patient!

Ok, so i've written a tutorial for COMI now - not sure if this will paste in here very well, but i'll give it a go. (PS3News - you might? want to add this to the "official tutorials?, but it's not REALLY PSP specific - so i'll let you decide!)

OK here goes....

TUTORIAL:- Compressing “The Curse of Monkey Island” and playing it on your PSP.
    (Tutorial written assuming you have v1.5 firmware) - Written By PSPSwampy 24/07/2005.

Required:-
    1. a PC
    2. a PSP with firmware v1.5 (or v1, but this tutorial is designed for 1.5)
    3. an original (bought) copy of “The Curse of Monkey Island” (monkey island 3)
    4. a copy of SCUMMVM-PSP BETA3
    5. a copy of SCUMMVMQ+E (for PC) get it at http://www.mixnmojo.com
    6. a copy of LAME.EXE (which comes in the ‘scummvm tool pack’ from http://www.scummvm.org but you can probably find it elsewhere using google)

This tutorial assumes you already have the beta3 version of scummvm installed on your psp and you know how to “install” games for it (for info on this read the readme that comes with it and browse the net – its pretty basic so I won’t go into it here).

Here we go…
    1. Copy files (listed below) from both CD’s onto your PC (in this example, I’m copying to C:\COMI\ directory

You should have ALL of the following files in your C:\COMI\ directory:-
    COMI.LA0 (From cd1 or 2)
    COMI.LA1 (From cd1)
    COMI.LA2 (From cd2)
    Plus a folder “RESOURCE” which should contain the following files:-
    BBSAN.SAN (From cd1)
    CURSERNG.SAN (From cd1)
    FG010GP.SAN (From cd1)
    FONT0.NUT (From cd1 or 2)
    FONT1.NUT (From cd1 or 2)
    FONT2.NUT (From cd1 or 2)
    FONT3.NUT (From cd1 or 2)
    FONT4.NUT (From cd1 or 2)
    KIS030.SAN (From cd2)
    LANGUAGE.TAB (From cd1 or 2)
    LAVARIDE.SAN (From cd2)
    LIFTCRSE.SAN (From cd2)
    MORESLAW.SAN (From cd2)
    MUSDISK1.BUN (From cd1)
    MUSDISK2.BUN (From cd2)
    NEWBOOTS.SAN (From cd1)
    OPENING.SAN (From cd1)
    SB010.SAN (From cd1)
    SB020.SAN (From cd1)
    SINKSHP.SAN (From cd1)
    VOXDISK1.BUN (From cd1)
    VOXDISK2.BUN (From cd2)
    WRECKSAN.SAN (From cd2)
    ZAP010.SAN (From cd2)

2. Now we need to compress the music, speech and animation files (*.SAN & *.BUN) to do this we will need the tools that come with SCUMMVMQ+E – you will need to download these if you have not already done so…

I. Load up SCUMMVMQ+E

II. Click on the “Update” button and select “Daily Build” – this will download the tools required for the compression.

3. Now that you have the tools we need to make take a copy of the following tools (from the tools directory which is in the same folder as your copy of SCUMMVMQ+E) and place them all in the C:\COMI\RESOURCE\ directory.
    “compress_san.exe”
    “compress_scumm_bun.exe”
    “Lame.exe” (from the scummvm tool pack you downloaded separately)

I. Now we need to move the files around a bit… Move all .SAN & .BUN files into a new folder called “Original”, which you need to create within the “Resource” folder. Create another new folder called “Compress” within the “Resource” folder.

II. We will now compress the files… Create a new TXT file within the “Resource” folder call it what ever you want, but in this example I will call mine “GO Compression.TXT” edit this with notepad and paste in the following:-
    Code:
    compress_scumm_bun.exe MUSDISK1.BUN "original" "Compress"
    compress_scumm_bun.exe MUSDISK2.BUN "original" "Compress"
    compress_scumm_bun.exe VOXDISK1.BUN "original" "Compress"
    compress_scumm_bun.exe VOXDISK2.BUN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe BBSAN.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe CURSERNG.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe FG010GP.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe FINALE.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe KIS030.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe LAVARIDE.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe LIFTCRSE.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe MORESLAW.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe NEWBOOTS.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe OPENING.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe SB010.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe SB020.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe SINKSHP.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe WRECKSAN.SAN "original" "Compress"
    compress_san.exe ZAP010.SAN "original" "Compress"
    cls
    @echo ALL DONE!!!!!
    PAUSE
    III. Now save the TXT file and then rename it from “GO Compression.TXT” to “GO Compression.BAT” – this changes it to a batch file which can be run.

IV. Run (double click) the .bat file you just created – you will see some nice dos text scrolling and changing – this will run for quite a while (about 20mins, probably slightly more). It is extracting the info from the .bun and .san files and recompressing it to MP3 format and then recompiling it into a new file (in the “compress” folder). When it is finished you will get a message “ALL DONE!!!!!” and be prompted to “Press any key to continue”.

V. Once completed copy the NEW (Smaller) files from the “Compress” folder back into the “resource” folder and delete the folders “Compress” and “original” – they are no longer required.

Note: For all the .SAN files, once compressed you will have a .SAN and a .MP3
    (eg. BBSAN.SAN, compresses down to BBSAN.SAN & BBSAN.MP3)

VI. Now remove the Compression tools from the resource folder
    “compress_san.exe”
    “compress_scumm_bun.exe”
    “Lame.exe”
    and “GO Compression.bat”

4. Now copy the COMI folder to you PSP (assuming you have about 450mb spare!) and play it!

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic reduction in framerate and playability of COMI after compressing the sound files. When I had the original files on, the game performance was MUCH better. After compressing the sound, the speech is jittery and much slower. Does anyone else have this problem?

@ James06:

Yes i have the same problem - its because scummvm-psp is decoding the compressed files, which creates an extra drain on the cpu.
    You can improve the speed of comi by disabling the music - this means you're only decoding 1 file at a time (whereas with music it's decoding 2 files)
    Note: Cutscenes still have some problems though.

It depends how much room you've got on your memory stick - if you can afford to put the whole game, uncompressed, onto your stick (ie you've got a 1gb or bigger stick) then that's the BEST option, but if you've only got a 512mb stick you HAVE to compress the files.

Hope this helps?

PSPSwampy.

P.s. the scummvm-psp team are working on improving the speed of the graphics anyway (which is due to the screen resolution) this MAY have slight impact on the game play with music & speech (ie improve it) but don't hold your breath!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast