February 6, 2007 - We all knew that Nintendo has been leading the console scene over in Japan since the release of the Wii, but some sales figures provided by Enterbrain on the 6th reveal just how big the gap is. Over January, Nintendo sold approximately 405,000 Wii units, well beyond Sony's 148,000 PS3 units, the PS2's 111,000 units and the Xbox 360's 40,000 units.
In the race for next generation supremacy, this puts the Wii at 1,395,000 units, with the PS3 trailing at 614,000 units.
The Wii wasn't the number one system in January, though. That honor goes to the DS, which sold about 700,000 units. Nor was the PS3 the highest selling Sony system, as the PSP managed sales of 230,000 units over the month.
In software, the DS is still tops. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, released late last year, sold 400,000 units over the month, besting the mighty Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, which combined for 370,000 units. Wii Sports is still selling hot. The Wii launch title took third for the month with 350,000 units. It's widely expected that the game will become the Wii's first million seller some time next month.
Here's the full top 10 software chart for January, as provided by Enterbrain:
1. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (DS, Square Enix): 402,992
2. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (DS, Pokemon): 370,832
3. Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo): 355,243
4. Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo): 283,758
5. New Super Mario Brothers (DS, Nintendo): 229,797
6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (PS2, Capcom): 209,974
7. Brain Age 2 (DS, Nintendo): 208,875
8. Common Knowledge Trainer (DS, Nintendo): 203,206
9. Animal Crossing (DS, Nintendo): 181,869
10. Kirby Squeak Squad (DS, Nintendo): 155,997
These sales figures cover from January 1 to January 28
Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!