Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"PS3" to sport a UMD Drive?!?!

I know I know, its been said before and we all got our fingers crossed, but take a look at what I just read on http://engadget.com/entry/1234000087043334/

We`ll just have to wait and see if they really do put one on board the ps3 a UMD drive,but it seems kinda odd why they would if this were to be.

Yah Im with you on that one, you would think the picture quality would not be up to par, blown up on a bigscreen, but you never know. I work at a BestBuy and have already heard rumors of music albulms being released on UMD, they are supposed to be similar to a Dual Disc, with videos of the bands an things. Just like you said we'll just have to see...

i think that sony going to sell a umd player just for videos or they are going like nintendo with the gameboy player for the game cube is going to be cool to have a umd drive on the ps3 . . . humm i can't wait for the ps3 lol

Continuing with Sony tradition I can almost guarantee there will be a UMD drive on the PS3.

Reason being is Sony loves to make everything backwards compatible.

The Ps2 played psone games,
    the PSP will play movies directly from the new dsc-m1 camera both using mp4.
    Sony TV's have memory sticks that play sony cameras,
    Sony laptops always have memory stick readers
    the list goes on and on

Quote Originally Posted by forcelite
    Continuing with Sony tradition I can almost guarantee there will be a UMD drive on the PS3.

Reason being is Sony loves to make everything backwards compatible.

The Ps2 played psone games,
    the PSP will play movies directly from the new dsc-m1 camera both using mp4.
    Sony TV's have memory sticks that play sony cameras,
    Sony laptops always have memory stick readers
    the list goes on and on
    their laptops have the memory card readers (as well as vaio desktops) because sony likes to whore the memory stick format.

you guys seriously read way too far into things. "oh man it says psp or compatible player that must mean it'll be in the ps3 and every new vaio computer and on every sony tv and on their new digital camera"

Quote Originally Posted by mrdelayer
    and every new vaio computer and on every sony tv and on their new digital camera"
    i don't think sony is going to be that stupid to put umd on vaio computer because if they do some one will start ripping games and hacking the codes so for the digi cams maybe but for the umds on pc that's a big NO :stickpoke
    Last edited by Alucard; 05-14-2005 at 01:49 PM

not to be a negative on the parade. But sony isnt so much about backwards compatibility as they are about proprietary backwards compatibilty.

I think you guys are confusing backwards compatability with regular compatability.

yeah, backwards compatibility means it supports the format of the older versions (the older versions being ps2 and ps)

i highly doubt that ps3 will support the UMD, but i garauntee that the ps3 will be able to make psp its "third hand", so to speak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast