Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS Vita 4G Patent Surfaces, Rumors of Firmware Update & Price Cut

Sponsored Links
    Following up on Sony's previous announcement, today rumors of a PlayStation Vita 4G design, PS Vita Firmware update and price cut have surfaced from PatentBolt.com (linked above).

Below are the details, as follows: "On February 7, 2013, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Sony that is technically about the PlayStation Vita and their new and upcoming connectors.

Sony states that the connectors are for "connecting the electronic apparatus to peripheral apparatuses" at the bottom and side surfaces of the device housing. Sony's patent filing specifically states that the next generation PS Vita will gain USB, HDMI and a power supply connector described as a parallelepiped connector.

New Ports Coming to Sony's PS Vita

As shown in Sony's patent FIG. 2, the electronic apparatus 1 in this example includes connectors 23, 24, 25, 39, and 59 as the plural electronic components. The connector 23 is, for example, a headphone jack.

The connectors 24, 25, and 39 are connectors such as a USB connector or an HDMI connector for transmitting and receiving data between the electronic apparatus 1 and other electronic apparatuses. The connector 59 is, for example, a power supply connector for supplying electric power to the electronic apparatus 1.

Sony's patent application was originally filed in the US in Q3 2012 but months earlier in Japan. The photo above was taken from Sony website on February 7, 2013. It's juxtaposed to Sony's patent figures 1 and 2 which expose the new ports. In comparison, we see the new ports clearly.

Sony's patent was filed in the US in Q3 2011 under serial number 559772 and filed months earlier in Japan."

Finally, from [Register or Login to view links] to quote:

Rumor: 4G Vita Plus Firmware Update To Be Revealed Soon?

"With the one year anniversary of the PlayStation Vita fast approaching in North America, sources (who have requested that we keep anonymous) have hinted at the possibility of an upgraded model coming sooner than most may have expected.

Although the credibility of this report comes into question by myself and my colleagues, these are the details nonetheless:
    • A new 4G LTE model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
    • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
    • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
    • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
    • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.

According to the source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same. As for the 4G model, the regions where it will be available, in addition to info on any data plan pricing was not available.

As stated before, this is a rumor and credibility comes into question, so take it with a whole pile of salt, if you would like; But it should be interesting if it really pans out. We will reach out to Sony to see if they have any comment on this.

Sound off in the comments below: If a new 4G LTE model of the Vita is announced this year, would you be willing to get it? Would you like to see a bigger price cut on the system itself? Or would you be happy to just receive a price cut on the memory cards? Discuss!"

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    4G LTE, Mini USB AND Mini HDMI? Ho-ly crap. As a Let's Player, I want this. NOW. Not to mention I have 4G LTE w/ AT&T, so yeah.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    would be great to plug into tv. i'd buy one then for sure.

For 4G / LTE I have already a portable 4G MiFi router and rest is most likely (meaning FW upgrade / new features) comming to current models as well anyway.

It would be great if there was an additional device for sale to use on a regular model.

I doubt the public version will have a USB port as that would be a way to hack it and Sony wont let that happen thats why its got the stupid port its got now.

And the dev unit looks just like that, its got USB and HDMI already. I'm guessing this is just the updated dev unit pictured.

Banned User
    all looks good, but we need more good games, there ain't many good ones out in my opinion. my 3G one hasn't been used in a while

I use mine everyday and its for the daily mission of Unit 13. I think thats still the best game for the Vita and it was a launch title. COD was pathetic. Resistance was better than COD but still not as much fun as Unit 13.

Ive already got all the good games and some of the crap ones for the Vita and waiting for months for something interesting to turn up. The last was NFS:MW.

Stick Out Tongue dev unit

come on people dev unit
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

IqyWcfR.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News