Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Can 'Optimize' Corrupt CSO?

Sponsored Links
    Hi there

As a matter of course, with ever ISO I open it up in UMDGen 4.00 and 'Optimize' it. I then save it as a CSO with compression level 9.

I'd say about 95% of all ISO's then work perfectly on the PSP. However there are a number that I've come across which either crash the PSP or just don't load.

Tony Hawks Project 8
    WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    Mortal Kombat Unchained
    Test Drive Unlimited

Would the 'Optimize' process be stripping out files needed for the CSO to run? Or is it just that the above games just don't work regardless?

In laymans terms, what does the 'Optimize' feature actually do?

As I say, I run this as a matter of course, as it can reduce an ISO from anything from 20mb to 200mb+ sometimes. But I'm just curious as to whether this process is the cause of some CSO's not working on the PSP?

Cheers
    Logan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    As far as I remember from using UMDGEN, "Optimise" doesn't affect the running of CSO's and I believe it only just gets rid of the extra space. Someone should be able to give you the definition of Optimise, but not myself, as I've hardly used it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If you are compressing your images then there is no need to use the 'optimise' feature. When optimising, UMDGen removes all excess padding and dummy files (this is all it does). There is no need to perform this step if compressing as the data 'optimise' would remove will be compressed to almost nothing anyway.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hi and thanks for the information

Yes I've been optimizing then compressing... d'oh!

I'll just compress from now on

I thought optimise also removed the Firmware updates on UMD's.

Wouldn't optimising at least in theory save a little space, because compressing down the update isn't going to save as much space as flat out removing it?

Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    I thought optimise also removed the Firmware updates on UMD's.

Wouldn't optimising at least in theory save a little space, because compressing down the update isn't going to save as much space as flat out removing it?
    Yes, you are correct... I forgot about that

On a side note, I cannot get Tony Hawk's Project 8 to run as a CSO, so you may want to try to just use it as a simple uncompressed ISO. I am currently trying to uncompress my CSO of Tony Hawks Project 8...but linux is not cooperating very well >_<

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News