This is a Tutorial covering the steps involved in setting up Hybrid Firmware on your PSP for those interested!
2.71/2.80 Hybrid Firmware via DevHook (Non-Flash'd):
Theres some talk of a Hybrid DevHook going around which fixes compatibility with some 2.8 games such as Thrillville, Yu-gi-oh, Asterix, and others untouched.. here's how to do it (and please note this is all done with an on the memory stick DevHook, not flash):
Open up your pspbtcnf_game.txt and change the following lines:
/kd/memlmd.prx to /kd/memlmd_280.prx
/kd/mscm to /kd/mscm_280.prx
/kd/mesg_led.prx to /kd/mesg_led_280.prx
/kd/registry.prx to /kd/registry_280.prx
/kd/utility.prx to /kd/utility_280.prx
/kd/impose.prx to /kd/impose_280.prx
ms0:/dh/kd/plain2x.prx (if its already there don't bother)
Step 2: Use PBP Unpacker v0.94 to extract DATA.PSAR from 2.80/2.81 firmware EBOOT.PBP and copy the DATA.PSAR to the root of your memory stick.
Step 3: Run PSAR Dumper Mod. In the menu screen press the SQUARE button and it'll dump 2.80/2.81 firmware and decrypt all the files to your MS. All the files will be inside F0 folder.
Step 4: Go to F0 folder and rename memlmd.prx, mscm.prx, mesg_led.prx, registry.prx, utility.prx and impose.prx files to memlmd_280.prx, mesg_led_280.prx, registry_280.prx, utility_280.prx and impose_280.prx and copy them from F0/kd to dh/271/flash0/kd folder of your memory stick.
Step 5: Open pspbtcnf_game.txt file and edit accordingly (see the steps at the TOP of this post).
Step 6: Enjoy your Hybrid 2.71/2.80 Firmware with DevHook!
2.71/2.80 Hybrid Firmware Direct-Load via 2.71 SE-B3:
Note: This will flash your Firmware- be VERY careful if you decide to try this as you can BREAK your PSP!
1) no need for DevHook, this is direct from XMB
2) works with NO UMD in drive
CAUTION: DO THIS ON A FRESH SE-B (NO ADD-ON MODS LIKE GAMEBOOTS, PRX LOADERS ETC)
1) I presume you're on SE-B3, if not get it and install fresh.
2) You need four 2.80 PRX files which are:
- mscm.prx ... rename it to mscm_280.prx
- mesg_led.prx ... rename it to mesg_led_280.prx
- registry.prx ... rename it to registry_280.prx
- utility.prx ... rename it to utility_280.prx
Place these four renamed PRX files in the root of your memory stick.
3) You need PSP Filer v1.9 in the game150 folder
4) Open PSP Filer (for English language press select, o, x) and enter hacker mode (L + dpad left + R)
5) You should see that you're in ms0 and hopefully you'll see at the bottom of your list the four PRX files.
6) Highlight all four (by pressing square on each one) and then press x
7) You should see a copy to ramdisk option with circle show up, if so press circle. Once copied, press circle again
8) Now press START several times until you see you're in flash0
9) You'll see the kn folder, place your arrow on it and press x
10) You should see the option "paste all folders from ramdisk" with circle. if so press circle and press again circle to exit
11) Press Select + START to leave PSP Filer
12) If you return to XMB, it's a good sign everything worked OK
13) Plug in the USB and create a folder in msroot called reflash and paste the attachedpspbtcnf_game.txt file inside
14) Shut off your PSP and go to recovery mode. Go to advanced, flash pspbtcnf_game.txt (2.71) and press x.
WARNING: It's important you don't screw this part up so make sure it reads what I just wrote!
15) Go back to your XMB and run your game!
Known Issues: It's impossible to load a game with plain modules disabled (due to the utility.prx). This unfortunately means that any game that needed to have the plain modules option disabled (Socom 2, for example) will not load. The only way to load them is through DevHook and emulated 2.71 only Firmware.
Nice Tut Pool Boy. Everything went smooth. Only thing I noticed was at step '10) You should see the option "paste all folders from ramdisk" with circle. if so press circle and press again circle to exit' Mine was the triangle for that function, but it says it right there so unless your an complete idiot you shud be fine figuring it out like I did. Thanks again. Im gonna try out all my pesky 2.80 games now.