A Peek Inside a Dynamic / Animated PS3 Theme

Today SKFU has shared his findings when peeking inside one of the new Dynamic / Animated PS3 Themes that have recently been introduced in PS3 Firmware 3.0.

To quote: "A quick look at the new animated themes shows that they are not really different to the common themes. I just downloaded the free theme from the Japanese store and decrypted the HDD again to see what is inside the package file. Well, it is:

1. JP9000-NPJQ00006_00-0000000000000000.p3t.edat

You see a normal .p3t file which is the same type of data, the old themes use. It is just encrypted as .edat file which is decrypted and installed on the PS3 on the fly after downloading it.

2. PS3LOGO.DAT

The default picture you see in any game when you press triangle - information about the game.

That's all. Wondering if there will be a homebrew program to develop your own animated themes soon, or even a SONY tool like the one for the old themes?!"

A Peek Inside a Dynamic / Animated PS3 Theme

More PlayStation 3 News...

Well... the others, like LBP have some sort of "known" dynamic part, where as Afrika lacks this... so i wonder if that makes a difference...

I sure hope we'll be able to create our own. Otherwise it seems to be a wasted feature. I doubt many developers will take their time to create these. We can already see that there are only 2 dynamic themes available at the moment...

TBH I was surprised the Uncharted 2 theme that came with this months Qore wasn't dynamic. It was just a background, it wasn't even a theme so I was pretty disappointed.

Also, of course Sony will eventually allow us to make our own dynamic theme, otherwise this would be a wasted feature. I also wonder if the only Dynamic part is knowing the time (day/night).

Quote Originally Posted by BlingOnMyWrist View Post
    I sure hope we'll be able to create our own. Otherwise it seems to be a wasted feature. I doubt many developers will take their time to create these. We can already see that there are only 2 dynamic themes available at the moment...
    There's 5 =P
    • High velocity bowling
    • Pixeljunk monsters
    • Pain
    • AFRIKA
    • Littlebigplanet =P

and the default theme can be "controlled" slightly, with shaking the controller... we also only have 4 atm, so there might be more "dynamic" parts over time =P

Well let's assume the hypervisor is not our enemy. I mean if there would be a Windows OS on the PS3, it would easily be hacked by replacing an executeable which gets started by the system account with a program you wrote or a simple cmd.

Maybe this is to an extend possible at the PS3, too.

would it be possible for somebody to screen capture (record with a capture card) the dynamic theme of little big planet without the XMB in the way and then send me the video so i can make it into an iPod Touch/iPhone vwallpaper theme if possible?

Strange.. but why is the PLAYSTATION 3 Logo inserted? Since i have 3.0 on my PS3 i don't see PLAYSTATION 3 when i start a game... it just starts!

I just hope we can make our own themes and share them all!

Yeah, but I was expecting to see a very similar file structure in both kind of themes, the "normal" and the dynamic ones. I just hope for a "PS3 Dynamic Theme Creator" to come soon.

I don't know much about this subject, but the dynamic part of the themes doesn't seem to be so complex (ejem... LDP is very simple actually ). I mean, I don't think it is as complicated as programming SPU's, it may be some sort of animation (hopefully).

Anyway, if we have to program a little bit that's fine with me, I will give it a try... until it gets hardcore
    Last edited by JesusFMA; 09-08-2009 at 04:17 PM

This will be cool if someone susses out how to open the doors for homegrown dynamic themes

Some of the normal user created themes have been amazing!