Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Video: Sixense TrueMotion PS3Mote Update - See it in Action!

Sponsored Links
    The mysterious "PS3mote", the Wii-mote-like PS3 controller that has been talked about numerous times over the past 2 years the PS3 has been released. Every gamer knows the power of a controller like this. The Nintendo Wii is the best selling console this generation, and let's face it... It's because of the controller.

A controller that is so user friendly, that even grandma, and grandpa can pick it up, not be intimidated, and have a blast. That's the appeal, everyone has used a remote for their TV, their VCR, their DVD player. The remote is an icon in American (and I am sure many other) culture.

Videos from NVISION08 can be seen below... Enjoy all.

Sixense TrueMotion Presentation Part 1
    GritebSC240

Sixense TrueMotion Presentation Part 2
    LLz1yXl9xpk

Sixense Demo Highlights
    fTCbgHS13X8

This "PS3mote" has been rumored many times, in the past. It has even had many different explanations of how it worked. Whether it was a waggle controller, an FPS controller, or a "break apart" controller, it never was released, or shown to the public. It has even been said that this "new" PS3 controller has made it to the hands of developers.

Even with all the different versions of this "new" PS3 controller, nothing has ever been seen or heard about it... until now.

Back in June, we reported on a "PS3mote" that was being tested by a focus group behind closed doors. NDA's were signed but we had an insider willing to tell us all about the focus group, and the products being tested. A controller was being tested for the PlayStation 3, that offered superior control to that of the Nintendo Wii's. The only drawback was that it involved the use of a tripod.

After all this time, still no controller has surfaced. However something of interest has. Back when we first broke the story of the focus group test, and the "PS3mote", there were some details we left out. We left it out well, because there was no evidence that such a name, company, technology, or entity existing under the name we were given. In fact, we originally thought it may have just been a mock-up name for the "ps3mote".

Since then, we haven't given up our search for information on the "new" PS3 controller. We have finally found what we believe was the technology being tested that day, by Sony. While it appears that Sony has decided against using this technology, we wanted everyone to see what could have been...

During the focus group testing, there was a name across the top of one of the laptops, which again we thought was just a mock-up name. The name was Sixense. Back in June we scoured the net in search of something related to Sixense, and nothing turned up. Well, after some serious sleuthing, we have finally found our Sixense.

If you head over to [Register or Login to view links] you will see the exactly what was tested that day, in the focus group. A quick whois.net search will reveal that the site was created "21 Sep 2008 11:14:00" which explains why we couldn't find anything on it back in June, and dismissed it as a mock-up name. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    All I have to say is Awesome. Pure Awesome. And with that the Nintendo Wii was destroyed over night by Sony's platform. best of all it looks like real time tracking. The Wii is close, but I have always found a second or 2 of lag. Also the Wii just uses it as another D pad. This actually looks like it will be it's own thing.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    NVision is a NVIDIA sponsored event. This is a prototype of a PC / Console / ... controller. It's a tech demo from a company that's hoping to license their product to someone.

Yes, Sony probably did a focus group evaluation of the controller. However, most of these focus groups are multiple product, multiple technology.

Technologies such as this are relatively easy to demonstrate in a prototype that costs far south of $5000 to produce. What is much more difficult is to reduce the price down to the consumer's level of expectation for a gaming console.

According to the below video, they are targeting a release in 2009 of a PC version of this controller, and "are in discussions with game console manufacturers".

[Register or Login to view links]

Banned User
    oh boy here comes the lawsuits...

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
    All I have to say is Awesome. Pure Awesome. And with that the Nintendo Wii was destroyed over night by Sony's platform. best of all it looks like real time tracking. The Wii is close, but I have always found a second or 2 of lag. Also the Wii just uses it as another D pad. This actually looks like it will be it's own thing.
    that's so true, I observed that while playing boxing on the Wii, I'm swinging and swinging but the character on the screen is not moving, really frustrating.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nanobr3ker View Post
    oh boy here comes the lawsuits...
    No, according to the patents, this shouldn't bring any lawsuits because the way it senses motion is different from Nintendo. This PlayStation remote uses infared lights that are picket up by the PlayStation Eye.

If this is released, I definitely see myself buying it. I do own a Wii but, only for Wii fit, and I occasionally play the Wii Sports that was included with the system.

I did notice, during the baseball demonstration, there was some amount of lag during his swing. The way it followed his motions did surpass the Wii's though.

I look forward to hearing more about this.

anyway, it looks good ... Canīt wait for playing "WiiLike" Baseball on PS3

br
    NIGHTWISH

Quote Originally Posted by BlingOnMyWrist View Post
    No, according to the patents, this shouldn't bring any lawsuits because the way it senses motion is different from Nintendo. This PlayStation remote uses infared lights that are picket up by the PlayStation Eye.

If this is released, I definitely see myself buying it. I do own a Wii but, only for Wii fit, and I occasionally play the Wii Sports that was included with the system.

I did notice, during the baseball demonstration, there was some amount of lag during his swing. The way it followed his motions did surpass the Wii's though.

I look forward to hearing more about this.
    Also Nintendo can't really say much. If I recall correctly about 6 months ago Nintendo was in trouble with a lawsuit of it's own.

No one can claim rights to "Motion Sensing" Since people have used it ages before, and Sony was the first to use it with the PlayStation EYE TOY. Also I believe that you may be wrong about infrared lights.

The Wii also uses infrared but both consoles use blue-tooth to track things. I don't know the schematics so i could be wrong. But I believe Sony just uses it's highly advanced blue-tooth technology.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News