Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Number of Quality Titles in PlayStation 3's Library Doubled in 2008

Sponsored Links
    2008 has been full of ups and downs for the PlayStation 3. Whether or not Sony delivered on all their promises is questionable.

However, if there is one thing that can't be taken from Sony's next-gen console is the tremendous growth its software library has undergone over the past year.

In 2007, critics of the PS3 lambasted the console's software catalog. The system was victim of numerous shoddy ports, and lacked any defining title it could call its own. Then, early in the new year, Sony made the eyebrow raising announcement that they intended to drive sales not by slashing the price again, but by delivering quality software.

And, to the disbelief of even the most devout Sony fanatics, things did begin to change. The PS3 became the lead platform for many multiplatform projects, ironically, not because it was the most powerful platform, but because it was the most infuriating to develop for. Starting with Burnout Paradise in January, the differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of multiplatform games became a non-issue.

Several big name titles, including Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 averaged better reviews on the PS3. Even Madden 2009 averaged a point better on the PS3, an impressive feat after the controversy that erupted the previous year when EA announced that Madden 08 would run at 60 FPS on the 360, but only 30 on the PS3.

In addition to increased quality of multiplatform titles, Sony's flagship titles finally began hitting the shelves. Kojima's long awaited epic, Metal Gear Solid 4, was recieved well commercially and critically, and was the first PS3 exclusive to average over 90% by gaming publications.

Over the course of the next few months, other quality exclusives graced the console's library, including WipEout HD, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Valkyria Chronicles, and Resistance 2. LittleBigPlanet was also met with a stellar critical reception, eclipsing even MGS4 with a 95% average.

But just how big was this expansion of the PS3's software library? According to review aggregate GameRankings.com, it was huge. At the end of 2007, there were 35 PS3 titles ranking 80% or better. As of right now, even with some big games still on the way, there are 77 titles over that mark. That's an increase of 222%, more than double the 2007 totals. In comparison, during the same time period, the number of quality 360 titles increased 158%.

So while it's questionable whether 2008 was the definitive year of the PS3, there is one thing that is for sure - the issues with the PS3's software library are now a thing of the past. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Ah, wonderful post. It is sad when you hear the 360ers saying they're console is better because of games.

I just shake my head...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I thought I'd check Metacritic to get a decent comparison of Xbox 360 vs. PS3 instead of PS3 (2007) vs. PS3 (2008).

Here's what I found: the PS3 has 9 games with an aggregate score of 90%+ and only two are exclusives. The Xbox 360 has 17 games with a score of 90%+ and six of which are exclusives.

The trend is similar for games rated between 80% and 90%. Careful study of the multi-platform titles show higher scores for the Xbox 360 version most of the time: Bioshock, Fallout 3, NHL 09, Dead Space, Rock Band 2, and more. Although not multi-platform, in the battle of recent big FPS releases, Resistance 2 is badly outscored by GOW 2 (94 -88).

I shake my head when PS3 owners are still trying to convince themselves that they have just as many (or more) great games to chose from.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Nice post, and I totally agree. PS3 is far superior, and we will start to see more and more quality titles on the platfrom to prove it

This is funny because I was just telling my wife that when I bought my PS3 last year there were some good games, but I've noticed this year that there are so many more, especially within the last couple weeks.

I do have to say that the PS3 is better than any other console, well the Wii imo doesn't even compare to either the PS3 or 360 graphics wise. But if you put the 360 and PS3 head to head I believe the PS3 would come out on top, it cost more, but it's more bang for the buck IMO.

Games for the younger child

It is true the content is building. However I agree with the comment I have read somewhere that indicates there is little for the younger kids. I have now purchased my first game for the playstation - LittleBigPlanet and its awaiting Christmas for delivery to my 7yo. But really I only found this title suitable for her. My 12 yo loves many of the demos I downloaded yesterday - esp Skate and Pure. My 15yo is pretty bored with most of the stuff. They are all girls and the other comment I would make is the content is mainly male oriented. 15 yo is looking forward to SingStar for Christmas.

Are these comments true? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News