Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Earth to Sony: The PlayStation 3 Needs a Price Cut!

Sponsored Links
    A short time ago Sony Computer Entertainment executive Ray Maguire was [Register or Login to view links] in response to a question about a PlayStation 3 price cut.

"Well the pressure comes from the consumers obviously and so therefore there's always pressure on price," admitted Maguire, "but you know we have a business to run, and we have to make sure we're doing the right thing for the shareholders as well."

I am sorry, what? I know I am not a CPA, a high ranking business analyst, nor a senior executive at a multi-billion dollar company, but I can do basic math. Microsoft recently had some [Register or Login to view links] on their hardware and has seen a big hardware surge in North America and especially Europe as a result. So let's break out some hypothetical numbers shall we?

Let's say Sony reduces the cost of their standard 80GB unit from $399 to $325, I know this is a big drop but work with me on this. Let's assume with this price change they are no longer making $75 per unit on the console, but in fact break even on it.

Again this is all me making up numbers, but bear with me. Let's assume that Sony at its current price point could sell 1 million PlayStation 3 units over the holiday season. At my suggested price point, they could push 3 million units over the same period. This would be a net loss of 50 million dollars for Sony on hardware sales.

Looks gloomy and that certainly would not be doing the right thing for shareholders...but wait, according to the NPD the PlayStation 3's attach rate is 4.6 pieces of software per console sold. Let's make another assumption and say that Sony makes $15 per game sold.

$69,000,000 profit on the games sold to their 1 million new customers at their existing price point plus the $75,000,000 from hardware equals a total profit of $144,000,000 on hardware and software alone.

$207,000,000 profit on the games sold to the 3 million new customers at a lower and aggressive price point. Again, I am not a big financial genius, but rough number shuffling shows me that Sony could stand to make an additional $63,000,000 by having an aggressive price cut in this crucial time period.

Everybody knows that hardware is not where the money is, but in fact it is software sales from which all the profits are generated. From my perspective, making 63 million dollars of EXTRA profit is the right thing for the Sony shareholders.

In this time of a global economic crisis, parents shopping for gifts, teenagers saving up their money, or regular people making a buying decision will be focused on cost. The way Sony is approaching this price discussion is bullheaded, short sighted and just plain wrong.

Sony if you are listening, please change your mind on no price cuts. You have turned around your software issues, your online presence and Blu-ray titles keeps getting better and better. You have a chance to pull yourself out of last place every month with a strategic hardware cut in time for the holiday season. Put this together with the great lineup of games and you could be a true contender again. More PlayStation 3 News...

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    well they not making mass profits on ps3s at all, why should the price go down?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It may be the cheapest blu-ray player but that's not what its market is about. I have a feeling Sony is going to take a huge beating my not lowering their price of the console this holiday season.

I honestly think $399 is fair for a game system, blu ray player, and internet browser all on your television. The launch prices were crazy, and I couldn't afford one 'till recently. People have to understand that these companies actually lose money in the hardware, and profit from the software (games sold). With the US dollar being so low, they probably can't afford to drop the US console price.

I think that you might be on to something but i dont think that a pricecut would help that much. Plus i think that asking sony to make a price cut is hard because of how great this gaming system is. It is like going to ferrari (PS3) and asking to the make the cost the same as a chevy cobalt (XBOX360) or the chevy metro (WII). The amount of technology is the ps3 is the reason for the high price.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Let's say Sony reduces the cost of their standard 80GB unit from $399 to $325, I know this is a big drop but work with me on this. Let's assume with this price change they are no longer making $75 per unit on the console, but in fact break even on it.
    Unfortunately, they're more-or-less breaking even now at the $400 price point: [Register or Login to view links]

They already lost hundreds of millions selling PS3s below cost. I imagine there's lots of pressure to at least break even on the hardware now. It might be a good idea, but it's going to be a very tough sell...

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News