Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

BioShock for PlayStation 3 - First Impressions

Sponsored Links
    So I make no secret of the fact I LOVE Bioshock. It was my game of the year last year by a long way. Yeah COD4 was a great game and I am still playing that. Halo Jesus really was not the game it should of been - please donít flame me itís just my opinion and Mass Effect had too many little issues. So Bioshock really stood out for me.

So it was with great delight that I found out it was coming to my shiny black paperweight. The trouble is, would it play well on the PS3?

Well the demo hit the PSN (all regions thanks you 2k/Sony!) and I downloaded it as soon as I got home. It took a little under and hour to drop down the 1.8GB demo (holy crap demos are getting bigger !) and around ten minutes to install (go figure!).

It was with real trepidation that I launched the game and waited for the menu to roll up. First thing you notice is just how many teams worked on this game! 2K Boston, 2K Australia, Digital Extremes etc - That never sounds good!

I hit the menu, choose my game type and launch the game. The intro sequence plays out and looks just as good at the 360 version, perhaps a little higher res and cleaner. The plane ditches (spoiler!) and you struggle tot he surface - here we go, lets see if it starts to chug - No, one of my favorite parts of the game graphically looks just as sweet as it did on the 360, infarct it looks even better.

Moving to the tower through the flaming wreckage looked lush. The only weirdness I spotted was in the sky - what have they done to the clouds?

Anyway I go into the tower and head down towards the Bathasphere. All good so far, so pull the lever and we dive down. The little info film plays and then the shutters are drawn back on the underwater haven that is Rapture. Chug, Chug, Chug I could of cried.

Then I remembered the Xbox version did exactly the same at this point and took some heart from this. Then as we swept around the underwater metropolis I spotted some texture pop on the nose of the whale and started to get that sinking feeling in my stomach again.

The pod docked and out I got, everything looked just as good as before, the frame rate was solid and the water looked totally gorgeous. I played through the level and all worked just as it had done before, animations where great, lighting good, beautiful design. Then it struck me, this game looks a lot more high res. It looks a lot cleaner. Oh dear. What do you mean "Oh Dear" your probably saying.

Well for some reason now that itís cleaner and more high resolution the textures look a bit more , well, textury. Looking out of the windows towards the rest of Rapture you notice the rivets on the window pane, and they are a little blockily drawn. Donít get me wrong here, in my opinion the game looks better than the Xbox 360 version no doubt, and on par with the higher end PC visuals, but for some reason it detracts from it.

Maybe I have been spoilt since last playing this game. I have played MGS4 since then and that hit a whole new level for in game graphics for me. So maybe that is why Bioshock seems a little less than I remember it to be.

Donít get me wrong the demo was rock solid and the gameplay mechanics are all still in place and you should definitely pick this up if you missed it before. It just seems a little bit of a disappointment to me and I canít really put my finger on why. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I bought it for the 360 and loved it. The PS3 demo however feels and looks a bit "work in progress" which is a shame because I'm sure its all finished now.

People have had a few years to get to grips with the PS3 now. MGS4 looks stunning (even though its nothing more than an interactive movie) so I'm just a bit miffed that PS3 owners are treat like poor red headed step children. Capcom did a good job converting Lost Planet to the PS3. I had that for both systems and cant say anything bad about the PS3 version.

Its been a couple of years now. The PS3 should really be shining.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by hibone View Post
    I bought it for the 360 and loved it. The PS3 demo however feels and looks a bit "work in progress" which is a shame because I'm sure its all finished now.

People have had a few years to get to grips with the PS3 now. MGS4 looks stunning (even though its nothing more than an interactive movie) so I'm just a bit miffed that PS3 owners are treat like poor red headed step children. Capcom did a good job converting Lost Planet to the PS3. I had that for both systems and cant say anything bad about the PS3 version.

Its been a couple of years now. The PS3 should really be shining.
    I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you that this looks like a work in progress! If anything could be said... it IS A DEMO! Also, I would have to add that - after playing BIOSHOCK on a high end PC and seeing how much better it looked/sounded in EVERY way to the 360, I actually QUITE IMPRESSED with how much the PS3 DEMO version compared to the PC equivalent... and ACUALLY BETTER IN SOME INSTANCES!

That being said I never completed this game and look forward to doing so via the PS3ia version! And on a side note - although I PERSONALLY DO NOT SUPPORT UNRELIABLE HARDWARE - I am completely beside myself with joy at the fact that the 360 ACTUALLY OUTSOLD the PS3 IN JAPAN FOR THE 1RST MONTH RUNNING IN ITS HISTORY!!! I followed the week by week sales not expecting - but hoping - that it would continue... and surprise, surprise!!!

THIS IS HUGE!!! The PRIMARY REASON FOR THE SUCCESS OF THE 1rstly the WII, and PS3, DS, PSP, etc... in Japan is because THEY ARE ALL JAPANESE PRODUCTS AND PURCHASING THEM WAS ALMOST A PATRIOTIC DUTY FOR THE AVERAGE JAPANESE GAMING CITIZEN (which is EVERYBODY!!). Its not the 360's price drop, but also its history in catering to the japanese gamer by producing RPG's and the like that they love soooo much in Japan! anyway...THE END!!!

Well i have the PC version of the game... running on a high end PC... and it looks very good... better than any of both version (ps3 or x360) But... after playing the ps3 vesion for a while i noticed that everything on the game looks just as good as the x360 0 lag it works like charm... if these games could run on a highest res, i'm sure that it will looks almost as good as the PC.

Bioshock has poor graphics.

I actually thought the game looked really bad when you were looking out from the pod. The squid looked really "blocky" and the buildings seemed bland (they lacked any interesting effects). But the rest looked breathtaking, people in the room were asking if it was a video or actual gameplay once I started.

Completed this on PC several times, they better come up with some more than this if they want us to play it again. I'm not buying it yet.

I have to agree with comments in comparison.. I wont be getting this on PS3. The PC version - resolution detail and AA was so much better than the ps3 version.

Was well disappointed with it on the ps3.

Having said that, I never played the PC version through and playing the ps3 demo has made me think I want to revisit it perhaps on the pc
    Last edited by muradps3; 10-06-2008 at 08:13 AM

just looked at some screenshots xbox vs ps3 and the box version just look a lot sharper and mich better. ps3 screens are just washed out and don't look very promising. whatt the hell did they do all the time?!

and thats not all. the textues are a lot worse than the box version. it's not like the other compares between xbox and ps3. getting out late and looking much worse. where is the link to that FAIL! .img when i need it.

My theory is they don't want it to look good on the ps3 as it was a xbox360 game and they don't want to have the ps3 beaten out the xbox360 on this game..

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    My theory is they don't want it to look good on the ps3 as it was a xbox360 game and they don't want to have the ps3 beaten out the xbox360 on this game..
    funny how that seems with some games that come to the ps3. i'm guessing in a few years things will change as developers and publishers get a better grip on the ps3 architecture.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News