Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] YLOD/Heat Gun temp advice pls help?

Sponsored Links
    got a YLOD on my old 40gig PS3. have thermal compound at the ready, and have borrowed a Black & Decker BD1600 1400w heat gun. the gun is working great, but was wondering what the operating temp of this thing would be?

gilksys guide says hold the heat gun about an inch from the motherboard with a temp of 350C from the gun.

any tips on how far i should hold the heat gun from the mb would be very much appreciated, afraid i'll melt it into oblivion.
    Best Answer - Posted by severusx:

The key to using a heat gun for any type of repair is preparation and patience. There is a difference between the heatgun used to strip paint off of a car and the one used to work on PCBs. As was mentioned above, pre-heating the entire board to prevent warping is a must. You also need to carefully cover parts like capacitors and connectors with a heat shield like foil to prevent damage. Take your time and SLOWLY heat the components necessary to re-flow their solder points.

If you get is a hurry you'll turn your board into a taco, and ruin any chance of fixing it. Lastly, for the love of god, never NEVER put it in a household oven. Yes, there are ovens for PCBs, but they are specialized for exact temperature control and heat profiles to prevent damage. Attempting to "bake" your board will only result in a melted pile of plastic.

I have repaired many many xbox 360's with RROD using the correct heatgun and a lot of practice. You can do it, if you take your time.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    1400w does not really tell you what temp the gun is running which makes it tricky. i use a ryobi heat gun which has temp settings i run mine at about 775F and i built a jig which holds the gun approx 3/4 inch from chips. it all about trial and error with individual guns. start slow and then if it still wont boot try a longer cycle. just remember to warm the board before reflowing so it does not warp.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Just dissasamble the PS3. Remove the Therminal paste and heatsink, clean them. Get some (rubber) stack ups (pillars w/e) and put the mother board in the oven.

There is some tutorial around, this will reflow your whole PS3 board. Let it cool off, don't move it!

Then get some Silver arctic paste, and put it on the GPU/CPU, spread it to be as thin as you can.

And the PS3 should be.. better than new, as Sony didn't do it right.

I strongly disagree with the oven method a little too long in the oven and you will destroy the board.

If you do happen to use the oven remember to read some guides first, don't just stick your mother board in the oven at any temperature.
    I would suggest you use the heat gun method first, since it's the safest and easiest thing to do.

i agree with shroomster.. you would have to be an idiot to stick your ps3 mobo in the oven.. LOL there are all sorts of materials on there and they all have different melting points.. it really is stupid to try this!!!

umm, nah, the oven fix is only for experts

i used gilksys guide exactly, approx 15 secs on each area about an inch away from the chips, and no more YLOD, but for how long is anyones guess. there is a local computer vendor who does reballing, waiting on a price for future reference.

The best fix for the YLOD is buying another PS3.

also this you can get it fix by reballing it.

Using a heatgun is probably THE worse thing you could do. Yes it may work for a few days, but in reality you're just doing more damage to the already stressed components.

Have it looked at by a professional or somewhere that offers a reflow/reballing service. YES it is $$$ but how much is a new PS3? How much is a 2nd hand one? How much do $ony charge for repairs? I think 40-50 is a reasonable price, and IF done properly your console will live on for a fair few more years.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News