Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] XMB Problems Copying Files from USB Flash Drives?

Sponsored Links
    Hey guys! I'm posting this in order to get help with some issues I'm having from XMB on my PS3. This is a problem that has been ongoing for weeks now. I'll be providing 2 short YouTube video links for viewing. I hope someone can help me get my issues resolved. It's driving me absolutely bananas.

Here's the links to my videos:

Can anybody please tell me what the heck is causing my problem? I've been trying to find a solution for way too long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This problem persist with all game saves and not just the one in the video.

BTW, I also have the same issues when trying to "delete" game updates from the "Game Data Utility". I can't get the options to delete any of the game updates installed to PS3. I get kicked out of all these saves for some reason.

Access is being denied to copy/delete but for what reason? I've tried 3 different USB flash drives to make sure it wasn't the actual drives. All formatted to FAT32. Thanks!

BTW, I can copy package(.pkg) files to USB flash drive and they work just fine. I'm stumped as to my problems from XMB. It's almost like a file is missing from the PS3 for XMB.

Either that or something corrupt from XMB. I've already used all the "safe mode" options to restore the settings and even re-formatted my HDD as well.
    Last edited by tonybologna; 12-10-2010 at 09:13 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The save game is probably copy protected. It is locked. I could be wrong. To make sure its not a problem of the ps3, try copy other game's save data using the cruzer.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Did you not read my entire first post? This is happening with all of my offline game saves and not just Madden 11. It's not about any one particular locked save. I know there are a select few games that have locked saves but none of mine fit this matter.

I can copy .PNG files to a USB flash drive and they copy just fine along with (.pkg) files as well. I haven't tried any video files but I think I'll do that later today. It's like I have an alien PS3 or something.

Update: Well, I can't copy a video to the PS3 either. I tried to copy an (.avi) file but no option to copy again. I can watch the video from the flash drive but not copy it.

Also, I thought I had copied an image file(.PNG) before with success. That must not have been the case. I placed a .PNG file on the flash drive and guess what? No ability to copy it to the PS3. I can view it just fine but not copy. Can't copy with a .JPG file either.

I don't understand my problem at all. It happens no matter if I'm in jailbreak mode or not. This PS3 seems like a totally different system than all you others that have one.

I'm honestly totally puzzled over this issue from BMB. Not only that, FTP doesn't work for my offline saves either. Could somebody please at least give me a possible cause and solution to these problems? Thanks!
    Last edited by tonybologna; 12-11-2010 at 03:15 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    this is a trippy problem are you on modded FW although this doesn't seem to be a problem to anyone else, nevertheless try reinstalling firmware from recovery mode on flash drive, it may solve ur problem, also on the second video when the phone rang wasn't that someone with the answer you require

Quote Originally Posted by cackalack View Post
    this is a trippy problem are you on modded FW although this doesn't seem to be a problem to anyone else, nevertheless try reinstalling firmware from recovery mode on flash drive, it may solve ur problem, also on the second video when the phone rang wasn't that someone with the answer you require
    I'm not using a modded firmware. I know there is a modified 3.41 but I'm not using that one either. It's the standard one.

Are you talking about putting the 3.41 firmware on a flash drive and just re-installing the firmware in this manner?

I already tried "safe mode" for the options from there. From restoring default settings to full HDD reformat. I didn't know you could install firmware from flash drive from recovery/safe mode. Do I just keep the existing firmware and re-install over it? Does this wipe the HDD?

BTW, that phone call you heard surely wasn't Sony calling to give any help. It was them calling to tell me to take down my YouTube videos.

I did actually call Sony a couple weeks ago about this problem. You know what they told me? They said it was all due to recent changes in copyright protection. Yeah right! Of course, I didn't mention jailbreak mode either.

There are a certain few games in which you can't copy saves but the ones I'm using don't fit that category.
    Last edited by tonybologna; 12-12-2010 at 11:29 AM

Help with your files

You can try using a file manager program since you can download packages. I have used a File Manager to transfer my PC Engine roms to a different folder since it wouldnt let me select a directory. I didnt have to FTP or anything and could copy and delete from USB or external. I am unsure if it is ok to give the program name out but see if you can find a file manager packager for ps3 on google. If I find out its ok by admins I can give you a link to it. Im sure that should help as you can view your whole PS3 directories and such.

Banned User
    Sounds like a dodgy HDD problem or a usb driver problem on PS3, have you tried copying videos and pictures from a media server app running on a PC, just to see if its USB related or HDD only. also try an app like comgenie filemanager, this works on a lower level without needing xmb files so it might work if its a firmware issue. Also maybe your file and folder permissions have been messed up, try look at file permissions by copying some files to PC if you can and checking . Strange issue... good luck with it. maybe a previous payload created some wierd file permissions, I did hear of a permission fix pkg but I never needed it myself so havnt researched it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna View Post
    I'm not using a modded firmware. I know there is a modified 3.41 but I'm not using that one either. It's the standard one.

Are you talking about putting the 3.41 firmware on a flash drive and just re-installing the firmware in this manner?

I already tried "safe mode" for the options from there. From restoring default settings to full HDD reformat. I didn't know you could install firmware from flash drive from recovery/safe mode. Do I just keep the existing firmware and re-install over it? Does this wipe the HDD?

BTW, that phone call you heard surely wasn't Sony calling to give any help. It was them calling to tell me to take down my YouTube videos.

I did actually call Sony a couple weeks ago about this problem. You know what they told me? They said it was all due to recent changes in copyright protection. Yeah right! Of course, I didn't mention jailbreak mode either.

There are a certain few games in which you can't copy saves but the ones I'm using don't fit that category.
    if you've got normal 3.41 might not make any dif, but yes you can install update from recovery its option 6 and yes it will install 3.41 over the existing 3.41 even though they're the same, can't be sure if it will help but give it a try and no it won't format ur drive you won't lose anything, make folders in CAPS PS3 AND UPDATE, put the update.pup in the UPDATE folder then put UPDATE into the PS3 folder and copy to usb flash drive. go into recovery on ur ps3 and give it a go

Sounds like a dodgy HDD problem or a usb driver problem on PS3, have you tried copying videos and pictures from a media server app running on a PC, just to see if its USB related or HDD only. also try an app like comgenie filemanager, this works on a lower level without needing xmb files so it might work if its a firmware issue. Also maybe your file and folder permissions have been messed up, try look at file permissions by copying some files to PC if you can and checking . Strange issue... good luck with it. maybe a previous payload created some wierd file permissions, I did hear of a permission fix pkg but I never needed it myself so havnt researched it.
    I can use PS3 Media Server to stream video files to the PS3 just fine. I haven't tried copying files this way and I wasn't aware I could do that either.

I did use MultiMAN and Comgenie filemanager to try and copy files to the appropriate directory on HDD.

As to the file permissions, that was brought to my attention as well. I had been swapping payloads for a good while. I used the (.pkg) for permission fix but I believe that only pertains to games. Anyhow, it didn't help out either.

I was told to try dev PL3 or NUS PL3 and do all my copying and installing from one of those two payloads. Well, I tried FTP with both NUS & dev PL3 but my copied files still wouldn't work. File permissions show up fine via FTP. I've finally stuck with PL3 for my choice as payload after swapping back and forth for a while.

I might give this a try as well. Anything to avoid a complete reformat of the HDD right now. I just went through that a few days ago to see if my problem would be corrected. I have too many games to re-install again so soon.

if you've got normal 3.41 might not make any dif, but yes you can install update from recovery its option 6 and yes it will install 3.41 over the existing 3.41 even though they're the same, can't be sure if it will help but give it a try and no it won't format ur drive you won't lose anything, make folders in CAPS PS3 AND UPDATE, put the update.pup in the UPDATE folder then put UPDATE into the PS3 folder and copy to usb flash drive. go into recovery on ur ps3 and give it a go
    I might give that a try as well. Anything to keep from reformatting the HDD again. I just did that a few days ago. I don't wanna go through that again so soon.
    Last edited by tonybologna; 12-12-2010 at 04:57 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User
    Did comgenie app work ok? Yes, you can copy compatible media file formats from ps3 media server to xmb, dont try copying EG. mkv or other transcoded file though, it will sometimes try copy hundreds of GB of uncompressed data! Seems reinstalling FW might be your best chance fornow.
    Last edited by DeViL303; 12-12-2010 at 05:47 PM

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News