Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13



  1. #1
    Contributor BackHome's Avatar
    Sponsored Links

    [Answered] Will PS3 forget its old hard drive ?

    Sponsored Links
    Actually I wanted to do jailbreak experiments with a new harddrive. I understand that after PS3 clears data from the new harddrive it kind of attaches to it.

    Now, the old harddrive has a lot of games saves. The question is, if I hook up the old harddrive to the PS3 now, will PS3 recognize it as its old pal ?? (or would it go for formatting & stuff)
    Best Answer - Posted by cackalack:

    it's a 50/50 sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, as always with ps3's you should've backed up your saves to flash drive before removing the hard drive

  2. #2
    Senior Member Natepig's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It will be absolutely fine to put the old one back in, the ps3 will remember it fine. Just be sure not to try and connect it to a pc or anything before you put it back.

  3. #3
    Contributor cackalack's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    it's a 50/50 sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, as always with ps3's you should've backed up your saves to flash drive before removing the hard drive

  4. #4
    I never knew that was the case. Do you know why that is? Does it matter what model of ps3 you have?

  5. #5
    I don't know why it's just a random odd occurance, I just know that I've put new hard drives in ps3s to see if it sorts a certain problem, if it hasn't I've just put original one back and been prompted to format it but this isn't always the case sometimes it just accepts it back. Also I've done over a 100 YLOD repairs 85% of them when repaired are ok all save photos videos etc are there but the other 15% require format b4 ps3 will boot, basically ps3s are just awkward fussy and very complex machines

  6. #6

    PS3 Forget Harddrive

    No it will not forget the Hard Drive as long as it is not connected to another PS3. Then of course you would have to format when you put it into the other PS3. In lamens terms if you take it out and replace it a month later you should be fine. I never had it forget.

  7. #7
    I used to swap between my HDD with PSN games and my HDD for linux all the time, never had it need to be formatted .but im sure its possible it would ask for format under certain conditions, like if firmware was upgraded during swap over or if drive was even plugged into pc for min and initialised.It didnt effect me because I was staying on FW3.15

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHatz907 View Post
    No it will not forget the Hard Drive as long as it is not connected to another PS3. Then of course you would have to format when you put it into the other PS3. In lamens terms if you take it out and replace it a month later you should be fine. I never had it forget.
    I see upwards of 50 PS3s a month for repairs not just stating my answer off 1 or 2 Playstations, I do know what I'm talking about which is why I say 50/50 because half the time the original ps3 refuses it's old baby without wiping it's feet, I have new hard drives in stock for when I need them and sometimes If I think a new hard drive might sort a problem I'll replace it, if problem still remains I put the old drive back in and half the time its had to formatted

  9. #9
    I have around 50 or each system PS3 and XBOX 360 so please tell me how yours forgets and we can go from there. I wasn't basing off a few. Maybe you have needed to format because you did the reflow of your motherboard when you fixed them. I can test but I have never had an issue with a PS3 forgetting. Unless of course you hook it up to something else (PC, another PS3).

  10. #10
    Backing up is the best bet. I have a question away from the original question. My old drive is in 3.41. If i put a new drive, update the new drive to 3.50 and if i put the old drive i guess i have to update it also to 3.50 and then downgrade it to 3.41?

 
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News