Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

[UnAnswered] What is the best way to hook up a ps3 to a 720p,1080i set

I'm getting ready to purchase my first hi-def tv and I've narrowed it down to either a 37 or 42 inch lcd 720p, 1080i set. 1080p is just too far out of my budget. I think I've read somewhere that the ps3 has an issue through the hdmi output if the set isn't capible of doing 1080p. If I remember it downgrades it to a 480p signal? If that is the case, what connecting cable (composite, component) would get me the best output?

Big Grin

i have an LCD 37inch that runs everything up to 1080i (not 1080p.) The 2 games i am playing now only support up to 720p. I have used a component and HDMI to play with very good quality and you really can't tell the difference between the 2 cables. i prefer HDMI since it is only 1 cable for picture and sound, compared to the component which has at least 3-5 cables to plug in.

If you want a HD signal then either component or HDMI, composite will not give you a HD signal so that is not an option, or at least not for me.

Ive got a 1080i tv and my ps3 is running via hdmi!!! they came out with a fix (via new firmware) to stop it from the 480p thing....anyway point is, mine looks awsome the way i got it hooked up!!! dont know any other way though, because ive only hooked it up hdmi....

I took my ps3 to my parent's house and they have a 56 inch dlp, i think it's a toshiba, and it only goes 720p,1080i and resistance played in 720p on that through hdmi. so i guess it depends on the tv

my ps3 is on a 1080i 42' plasma through hdmi looks great. ps3 menu is 1080i. games are run at what they support 720p 1080i

Theres a Westinghouse 37" 1080 flat LCD that supports true 1080p signals and doesn't just de-interlace 1080i signals for under $1500. A very good buy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by gore fiend View Post
    ....and resistance played in 720p on that through hdmi. so i guess it depends on the tv
    restating the post above: that's because Resistance is ONLY a 720p game, it does NOT depend on the TV....

not sure what's hard about hooking up the PS3 to an HDTV - you want the best signal, use HDMI - Wal-Mart has a Phillips brand cable for as cheap as $30 i think, or you could get a better quality Monster cable Ultra 600 for $60-100 depending on the store (eBay vs. Best Buy / Circuit City)....

HDMI runs both digital audio and video, so you just have to configure the digital signals coming from the PS3 to work with the TV / receiver - for example, if you want the sound to come out of the TV, do nothing more than set digital audio output to HDMI and make sure the mute is off the TV.... if you have a receiver like i do, turn off HDMI audio output and either connect an optical (read: still digital signal) to the receiver if it supports it, or keep HDMI audio output on and run an optical from the TV to the receiver as an input

i won't try and confuse you anymore since i have an HDMI switchbox that switches the single input on the TV between the THREE HDMI components i use to display video to it! so good luck, if you get stuck, remember your TV and PS3 both game with manuals you can read to find out the exact same info i just shared....

Quote Originally Posted by GarciaM25 View Post
    restating the post above: that's because Resistance is ONLY a 720p game, it does NOT depend on the TV....

not sure what's hard about hooking up the PS3 to an HDTV - you want the best signal, use HDMI - Wal-Mart has a Phillips brand cable for as cheap as $30 i think, or you could get a better quality Monster cable Ultra 600 for $60-100 depending on the store (eBay vs. Best Buy / Circuit City)....

HDMI runs both digital audio and video, so you just have to configure the digital signals coming from the PS3 to work with the TV / receiver - for example, if you want the sound to come out of the TV, do nothing more than set digital audio output to HDMI and make sure the mute is off the TV.... if you have a receiver like i do, turn off HDMI audio output and either connect an optical (read: still digital signal) to the receiver if it supports it, or keep HDMI audio output on and run an optical from the TV to the receiver as an input

i won't try and confuse you anymore since i have an HDMI switchbox that switches the single input on the TV between the THREE HDMI components i use to display video to it! so good luck, if you get stuck, remember your TV and PS3 both game with manuals you can read to find out the exact same info i just shared....
    Just to let you know there is no difference in quality between a Monster HDMI cable and a HDMI cable that costs $6 from monoprice... The Video signal is digital, therefore no loss in Picture quality from interference, unlike component cables which are analog...

Rawdog, agreed, no difference in cables at all, except price!

Furthermore, PS3 over 1080P works perfectly, no issues (alteast not here)

And do be warned, may 1080i LCD's (and CRT's) arent really 1080I, they either ACCEPT and downres it to its native resoloution (usually 1366x768, or in 720p's case, upscale) , or will downscale it to 540p (many CRT's!)

Just, be warned!

i have a 42" plasma with lg panel and the tv is VESTEL (which is very known in here turkey) . the plasma is HDReady and its 1024*768 . it supports hdmi as well . i'm thinking about buying a ps3 about june . i'm confused at a point and that is will my tv be compatible with 720p games . becasue its not a true hd . only a hd ready . i can connect my pc to it and they're so far compatible with 1024*768 . so ... anyone has an idea about my question . will my tv support 720p or will it be only support 480p ???

if not , what is the cheapest lcd (may be 28")which supports 720p that i may find on the net ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast