Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Weird PS3 shutting down problem help?

Sponsored Links
    So i've got a Playstation 3 phat 60GB CECHC03 model with a 250GB HDD and Rogero 4.55 v1.00 CFW installed.

The console, as of today, randomly shuts off. It's completely random. It does the whole red flashing light thing.

The first time it did it, the console has been on for an hour running a back up of BEYOND: Two Souls from the internal hard drive.

It then refused to come back on. I thought it might have been the power supply because it came back on when i'd tried like 4 times. It came on, did the "system didn't proper power down" thing and prompted me to check the file system for corruption. It then cut off half way through that.

So i went and got another power supply and stuck that in, tried it another 3 times and it wasn't working.

I has the PS3 downstairs for once as i usually play upstairs. So i took it upstairs, plugged it in and it worked first time and i played BEYOND: Two Souls for another 2 hours just fine. And then it did it again.

So i pressed the power button and it came back on straight away.

Thought it might have been getting hot, the fans weren't spinning up insanely fast so i went and set a custom fan speed with the utility so it was on pretty high.

Then i went and tried to reinstall the firmware, it got halfway through copying the files to the hard drive when it went off again. This time it wouldn't come back on so i left it for a few minutes, tried again and went into the recovery menu.

So i tried to reinstall the firmware again and it went off, I can't remember if it said copying files or actually updating but now it will not come back on.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it a case of YLOD or is it a software problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sounds like the YLOD to me! Had it twice on my 60GB. It's quite an easy fix but will take you an hour ot two to complete and a video guide is crucial. I used Gilksy from YT. Worked a peach.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If your sure the fan is running/working, then most likely is going to YLOD and need a reball

A reflow might help but is only a temporary fix.

Have you tried running a household fan behind it as well to keep it cool? and put the PS3 in a well ventilated area.

Before it dies as it sounds really like YLOD I would dump EID key so in case it will die you can recover all data from HDD , there is NO easy fix for YLOD all of them are temporary so don't listen that there is some magic trick in 99.99% of consoles it's recycling center , only thing you can do is replace thermal paste on CPU/GPU under and on top IHS , changing thermal paste under IHS requires some good skills and steady hand as with time paste goes dry and temp goes bonkers.

I have reballed a number of systems. All of which are still working to this day. My sons old one got reballed 7 years ago. I would say that is a fix. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by misiozol View Post
    Before it dies as it sounds really like YLOD I would dump EID key so in case it will die you can recover all data from HDD , there is NO easy fix for YLOD all of them are temporary so don't listen that there is some magic trick in 99.99% of consoles it's recycling center , only thing you can do is replace thermal paste on CPU/GPU under and on top IHS , changing thermal paste under IHS requires some good skills and steady hand as with time paste goes dry and temp goes bonkers.
    If anyone wants to recycle there system I will them before you take them there and I will reball them and have a great running system for a long time. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News