Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Is this a way to tell if you were hacked via PSN or not?

Sponsored Links
    I don't really care about my psn personally, Seeing as my PS3 is on CFW and staying offline for good. But I dont want my passwords ending up in someones wordless or an MD5 checksum floating around for several of my passwords.

So, Here is the main thing. As I recall from a post I saw in /v/ and pastebin, The exploit was in a plaintext being sent across the network for every person as they log in, the hack was not discovered until april. And CFW`s hit the world in feb / march.

So, Seeing as I did not log in since this far back, Does this mean my PSN = Completely free from worry of being hacked?

Or did the hackers manage to get into sony's online database and start pulling login data for all users instead of in realtime as users login?

I would like to know if I am safe despite the security breach.
    Best Answer - Posted by severusx:

As I understand it, they leaked all of the account information for all PSN users that ever registered, not just active users. Seeing as how Sony is not known for their strong security, I would strongly recommend that you change all of your passwords immediately. There probably isn't much individual risk, but your email address is associated with your PSN account, so if you use the same password for that it would be trivially easy to break into your email account.

Changing passwords is easy, recovering from ID theft is not. Be safe and change your passwords.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I think you are safe but if you are nervous at all then request a new card from your bank, if you used one to purchase anything from psn. Change passwords on anything that uses the same one as any psn accounts, or to be uber safe just make altogether new accounts for things.

It might be a bit inconvenient to have to do anything at all but anyone who is a victim from this point on only has themselves to blame for not taking the correct steps, once learning that their details have been compromised.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Oh I could care less about a bank card or any personal info, I just dont want my password ending up in someones synapses table.

But, anyways, Thankss. any other opinions?

pretty sure sony used more than MD5 to hash everyone's passwords. surely they used a salt + proprietary algo because if I remember correctly they mentioned DNAS (their network architecture)

however, it's sony, it's not like I didn't have my pw on there too, but you ALWAYS, ALWAYS need to use randomized passwords for everything. pretty sure they can't just go and crack it all. if not, then sony is still retarded for using some lameass algo [:

that's my 2 cents.

As I understand it, they leaked all of the account information for all PSN users that ever registered, not just active users. Seeing as how Sony is not known for their strong security, I would strongly recommend that you change all of your passwords immediately. There probably isn't much individual risk, but your email address is associated with your PSN account, so if you use the same password for that it would be trivially easy to break into your email account.

Changing passwords is easy, recovering from ID theft is not. Be safe and change your passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by ionbladez View Post
    pretty sure sony used more than MD5 to hash everyone's passwords..
    Unforuntately no, I saw a few of the exploits and how they worked in several websides (2ch... pastebin... ect) And everything sent across the network was not encrypted at all, everything was plaintext in this format.

[Register or Login to view code]

Creditcard, username, password, email, everything is sent across the network as plaintext and stored as such (Not thats not a real persons info) so... All the info they have, is uncensored.

But by my hash being out in a table or list somewhere, I'm referring to places like milw0rm and other websites based on hacking.

severusx, Thanks for best answer, I'll go ahead and change everything around.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News