Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Exclamation [Answered] VERY strange/interesting PS3 malfunction

Sponsored Links
    My ps3 has been having an issue which seems to resemble the famous YLOD problem. Randomly during PS3 use, the PS3 will turn itself off and flash a yellow light, beep 3 times, followed by a blinking red LED. The thing is, I can play blu-ray movies without issue, and most games play, and they shut off at random times.

For isntance, I can play little big planet for 2 hours and it will randomly shut off, othertimes it might only last 15 minutes before it shuts off. DVDs are the absolute worst, they consistently shut off, whereas blu-ray movies never shut off. I disassembled my ps3 in an attempt to fix this issue by cleaning the blu ray lense, I also formated the PS3 hard drive and reinstalled firmware (version 3.10). What could be causing this obscure issue?
    Best Answer - Posted by idone:

Maybe overheating?

If I were you I'd clean off the thermal paste and reapply some fresh stuff.

If you're getting a lot of random shutdowns be careful updating.. it could end up bad if it powers off during one.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Maybe overheating?

If I were you I'd clean off the thermal paste and reapply some fresh stuff.

If you're getting a lot of random shutdowns be careful updating.. it could end up bad if it powers off during one.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    See I am not sure its overheating, i can leave a blu-ray disc on for 24 hours and it will never shut off. It also never shuts off in the XMB, it only shuts off during certain games and DVD playback. Interestingly, if I turn off the option to upscale the dvds, it seems to play without shutting down.

Arrow

hmmm i think that fits pretty well... as soon as the ps3 has to work more than just video playback (e.g. upscaling, playing games) its overheating... but with less cpu/gpu load its still fine. or am i totally wrong here?

what about fan speed / sound? is it connected with the hung-ups ?

Quote Originally Posted by raydan View Post
    hmmm i think that fits pretty well... as soon as the ps3 has to work more than just video playback (e.g. upscaling, playing games) its overheating... but with less cpu/gpu load its still fine. or am i totally wrong here?

what about fan speed / sound? is it connected with the hung-ups ?
    I would agree that the overheating seems possible due to upscaling/games, however blu-ray discs never crash at all and they are very high resolution. And games dont crash all the time, certain games dont crash at all. I can play burnout paradise endlessly without it crashing, but uncharted drakes fortune and little big planet cause the ps3 to shut down randomly.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News