Lightbulb [Answered] Use of Peltier in the Ps3?

If you use the peltier in the cooler of the ps3, maybe (need to test yet) the moisture caused by peltier don't be a problem since the fan expel the air.

If dont work, you can use the cold air of peltier only and blow inside the ps3 (like a air conditioned). Its can be used with that system pc fan tunnel too to better the job.

i'm waiting my peltier to coming to make the demo

cya

To tell the true, and not to discourage you, I've thought myself a long time ago to peltier inside PS3 and what came out is the following:

Moisture IS a problem, there is the need to use at least neoprene lining and saratoga something to avoid the bigger part of it, not difficult but not so user friendly trick AND it leaves a big of mess around...

Heatsink IS a problem, ther is the need to add the peltier power rating to the amount of heat to dissipate and this will lead the heatsink to heaten up more INSIDE the PS3 leading to more heat INSIDE the whole system, the EMI shield is used to cool down the RAM, mosfets of the processors, AND the interface driver of the BD reader, if the whole system heaten up more it could be not possible for the EMI shield to sink enough heat to cool down those components leading to a system failure.

The last point says there is the need to use an external heatsink like the one of a watercooling system able to drive away from the inside the most of the heat without leaving it roaming around.

The peltier itself is about 4mm thick ant this leads to the need to use something different to fit it in the shell and to sandwich between processors and heatsinks, original screws and clamps are not suited to let use the original system, at least there is the need to replace the screws taking care to not wreck anything thightening..

It was at the end an exciting experiment but with a lot of mess to do inside and outside, besides the peltier itself, for this reason I've quit the idea hijacking my mind to one standalone air conditioner that keeps fresh the room in which I play and even my mind instead of only the PS3... and I'm enjoying it, but I'm sure to have quit too soon and I wish you could be more lucky with your experiment...

Happy modding however, I'm sure there could be something I didn't think at that could simplify the situation making it more user friendly....

The peltier in my project will be use like a air conditioned just pushing the cool air inside the ps3 (1 idea) the other idea is to put the peltier in the cooler system (not in the place of the fan).

The problem of the heat of the peltier its zero since the power will be of a power supply atx and the ps3 power supply will not be inside the ps3 too, in the place of the power supply i will use some copper pipes that will come from the fan side. The ps3 power supply will be only use to send energy for the mobo and bluray. The hd will be from atx.

i bought already everything, but comes from china (1 month of waiting at least)

now all i can do is waiting and think about some new ideas

cya
    Last edited by DENEGRAO; 03-31-2010 at 04:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DENEGRAO View Post
    The peltier in my project will be use like a air conditioned just pushing the cool air inside the ps3 (1 idea) the other idea is to put the peltier in the cooler system (not in the place of the fan).

The problem of the heat of the peltier its zero since the power will be of a power supply atx and the ps3 power supply will not be inside the ps3 too, in the place of the power supply i will use some copper pipes that will come from the fan side. The ps3 power supply will be only use to send energy for the mobo and bluray. The hd will be from atx.

i bought already everything, but comes from china (1 month of waiting at least)

now all i can do is waiting and think about some new ideas

cya
    I didn't explained myself well, I'll try to help....

With "power rating to add" I meant you have something like this (without doing any exact calculation, however):

Without peltier -> Processor power/heat to dissipate 45W heatsink dissipating power 30W, processor temperature 45C, heatsink temperature 55C

With peltier -> processor power to dissipate 45W, heatsink dissipating power 30W, peltier rating power 20W, total power heatsink have to dissipate = 45W + 20W = 65W, processor temperature -5C, heatsink temperature 85C

This, I repeat, is only to let understand the main line, I beg anyone with a calc in hand to don't fire at me cause I know that these values are NOT correct, it's just to give the idea in a simple way.

It's not about from where you drain current to power the whole thing, is about the dissipating capability of the heatsink itself, peltier cells only transfer heat from a side to anoter but in this process those will end up subtracting the remaining undissipate heat from the processor and adding it to the other side along with their power rating transormed into heat...

It's tricky, I know...

The result is that original heatsink is not enough to cool down things if a peltier shows up cause it has been sized for another thermal cycle...the most you can get out of it is to burn first the peltier cells and right after what those ones are supposed to cool down...

Sorry if I've explained myself in a not perfect way, my english lacks a bit..

To use it as a fresh air pump you need two heatsink to do the job and two fans, a pair from a side to spread cooled air, other pair from the other side to dissipate heat...

..it becomes a really tricky thing but I'll be really glad to see you digging something good out of it, please only be careful, it's not in my dream to hear a PS3 was turned into a grill ...!!!