[UnAnswered] USA Firmware on JAP or Vice Versa

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm this, since I need to upgrade my PS3 to firmware 1.5x. The question is:

Is it okay to upgrade a JAP PS3 with a USA firmware update?

To me, it should be okay as long as the firmware does format the flash but I'm not sure. This question is the same on PSP, as I remember flashing my JAP PSP with a USA firmware.

No probs, works fine!!

No, I'm afraid that will not convert your PS3's output capabilities.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by imad View Post
    this is interesting, I have a US PS3 but I live in a PAL region so it won't run my PAL DVDs, Bluerays, etc... So I'm wondering if my US PS3 will be converted to PAL if I update it with a EU firmware ?
    Wouldn't that render you US PS3's additional backward compatibility with PS2 games, obsolete? Is it possible even to switch from a US PS3 FW (like mine) to a PAL PS3 FW (as i live in europe)?

Yes, this might be true. After upgrading my JAP 1.10 PS3 with a US 1.51 firmware, I still have all the settings of the JAP unit. e.g. O, X are still enter, cancel respectively.

Actually all the firmware update files have the same md5 hashes.

Quote Originally Posted by MHAQS View Post
    Yes, this might be true. After upgrading my JAP 1.10 PS3 with a US 1.51 firmware, I still have all the settings of the JAP unit. e.g. O, X are still enter, cancel respectively.
    How's about the Edy Viewer (Japanese payment system)? Does this icon still show up in the xmb and do you have the full functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by uday View Post
    I can confirm that u can not update a EUR PS3 with US firmware while US AND JAP have similar FW.
    Anyone else on this? I am curious to try it but i don't know if it is dangerous for the hardware. Or it just says it can't update?

Banned User
    Will A PAL blu-ray disk play on a US machine running through a HDMI cable or does that only work on the games?