Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] US/Canada PS3 UK Compatibility and FW

Sponsored Links
    I'm hoping to order a 160gb ps3 slim, and on the website (which is american) It says US/Canada compatible only, is this true? Would it be different entirely to a UK ps3? I'm also hoping to jailbreak it, but I dont know which FW it will ship with, I expect its probably not fresh from sony, as the website isnt offering a move starter pack yet, so its probably stock thats a good few weeks old atleast.

any help would be great!

Cheers,

Cretin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yes, there are several regions in the world (US/Canada is one) and each has their own custom PS3. Why the different PS3s? Two reasons:

1) Different electricity standards result in different power plugs, voltages, and frequency. That difference also results in a different standard for TVs (US/Canada is NTSC, UK is PAL) which is partly due to the electrical frequency (60Hz in US/Canada, 50Hz in UK).

2) Media region controls. While PS3 games are mostly region-free, it's still up to the publisher to choose whether or not to region-lock it. So a UK game could be locked so that it only plays on UK PS3s. The same goes for movies. Fortunately, blu-ray locking (games and movies) is rare. The same can't be said for DVDs where region-locking is the norm.

I hope that helps.

PS - I should have mentioned that new LCD TVs usually can handle both NTSC and PAL signal, so that really isn't a limiting factor anymore unless you have an older TV.
    Last edited by Transient; 09-17-2010 at 12:17 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News