Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Angry [Answered] Upgraded bad PS3 HDD and system will not update?

Sponsored Links
    Hey guys I am new here but have been surfing the site for sometime now and finally registered. Anyways here is my problem as well as many other people, I have installed a new hard drive in my PS3 which was running 3.56 v1 and my original hard drive crashed.

When I installed the new hard drive and entered safe mode mode it asks for the update which I have on my USB flash drive in the proper folder structure. It keeps telling me that the data is corrupted and from what I have read only 3.56 v2 is now available.

What can I do to fix this because right now I have a nice black paper weight on my hands with 50 plus blu rays and no way to watch them. I am open to any solutions you guys have thanks in advance!!! I have a Slim model btw. And I am also in the US.
    Best Answer - Posted by severusx:

There is no way to fix that problem. 3.56 v1 will not allow you to install a new HD. 3.56 v2 fixed the bug but as I understand it you have to install it before installing a new HD in you PS3. If you don't have the working original HD there isn't a way to update to 3.56 v2 before installing the new drive. Sounds like a trip to Sony, although they should cover it since it was their bug.

Sponsored Links
    It's possible during the transfer (Either over the internet to the computer or computer to the USB) the file has become corrupt.

I would download a new copy of the latest firmware from the playstation website and check the MD5 to ensure it's the right version then put that in the folder structure (X:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDATE.PUP)

When you install a new hard drive, you only need to power the machine on normally (not safe mode) and the PS3 will prompt you through setting up the drive automatically.

I will give it a shot again but according to the official forums this is a big problem and it does not seem that you are able to downgrade or do anything about it other than paying Sony $150 for them to fix it. I will report back.

yes.. power on normally and remember that it's PS3UPDAT.PUP not PS3UPDATE.PUP i guess it was a typo...!

Whoops, yes! PS3UPDAT 8 characters

(Mind you, doing this from work - no PS3 access makes it a bit harder )

Everything is correct, file structure, downloaded the most current file from playstation.com (I think I need v1 not the fixed one) I need access to the downloads so I can get the version before the rereleased 3.56 to try and I think thats why I am having this issue. I am just at a loss at this point and very upset, I have done this one time before without any issue but the 3.56 just seems to be a pain for some reason.

When setting up a new drive it needs the current version OR HIGHER.

Unless there's something in 3.56 that screws this kind of setup - I would have to let one of the other members here delve into that as I'm not in front of my PS3 for testing.

But it seems there's a bug in 3.56 that prevents HDD upgrades.

[Register or Login to view links]

It might need to go to a repair centre?
    Last edited by Realee; 03-07-2011 at 10:17 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

How long does it take to get access to download the firmware files on this site? I want to try using the original 3.56 instead of the "fixed" version to see if that helps with my problem.

There is no way to fix that problem. 3.56 v1 will not allow you to install a new HD. 3.56 v2 fixed the bug but as I understand it you have to install it before installing a new HD in you PS3. If you don't have the working original HD there isn't a way to update to 3.56 v2 before installing the new drive. Sounds like a trip to Sony, although they should cover it since it was their bug.

just phone em... tell em ps3 won't start... no matter what they say and they will swap it out with a refurb. if still in warranty it's not gonna cost you... good luck.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News