Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So are the diodes PS3 specific (60gb vs 80gb)? I returned the Lens I purchased but I would hate to purchase another lens and have the same problem....

Right now I have my old lens back in & it bugs me that everything works except for the fact that I cannot play BD Movies nor PS3 games.

I even opened the case and tested my old lens to see if the blue light turns on after placing a PS3 game disc in it...and it does emit a blue beam..but then the disc will stop spinning after 30 - 40 seconds attempting to read the disc and then just stop and nothing happens. I ejected the PS3 game and placed a Audio CD in and it started to spin, but instead of a blue light it emitted a red beam and started playing the audio cd.

So with all this said... what are my options towards fixing this issue? Is it still a laser lens issue or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links

Back again slowly slugging, not reading ps3 games

Sponsored Links
    I have still no solution to this problem! Grrrrr So annoying! I have spoken to sony but they want 150 for a refurbished ps3. I dont want a secondhand one... a friend I know did this and got a dirty one, as if it was a display model from toys r us(grubby).

at the moment i can still play ps3 games(JUST) A temporary fix is to run a dvd for about 30mins then swap the disc for a ps3/bluray disc and then you can enjoy a game or film. however this fix will only wrk for 1 session.
    If you want to swap games you need to watch a dvd for another 30mins.

SOOoooooooo Annoying but it does work!

I still am yet to change the laser. atleast not til it is fully dead!

any other solutions pls let me know!
    And if the dvd swap works for you let me know!! Thanks g'luk!

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    DEFINITIVE POST: Change your laser! if it still reads DVD/CD it means that drive board is not fryed... If you changed lens and still not go redo every connection, be very careful not to touch the lens (BD's especially ar every hard to read with a dirty lens)

If it does not read CD/DVD it could be you drive board and it's only changeable from the same drive revision... IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS USING THE SAME LENS.. the drive board has to be the same revision so take care in changing that! If you cannot find EXACTLY the same revision board only chance is to desolder the controller chip from the old board and resolder on the new board... it's extremely hard to do so beter let a professional do it!

DEFINITIVE POST: Change your laser! if it still reads DVD/CD it means that drive board is not fryed... If you changed lens and still not go redo every connection, be very careful not to touch the lens (BD's especially ar every hard to read with a dirty lens)

If it does not read CD/DVD it could be you drive board and it's only changeable from the same drive revision... IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS USING THE SAME LENS.. the drive board has to be the same revision so take care in changing that! If you cannot find EXACTLY the same revision board only chance is to desolder the controller chip from the old board and resolder on the new board... it's extremely hard to do so beter let a professional do it!

EDIT: @lenz: try to explain your problem troughly next time not scatter bits of info all over it's wasting everyone time/pacience in trying to help you... OR do single post explaining the problem, steps you did in trying to fix the problem etc...

@kmoldps3: see my post above about the drive board... did you touched the lens...? Try another one if you didn't (and DVD's are still readable)!
    Last edited by mihaiolimpiu; 05-13-2009 at 03:39 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi,

my colleague had the no read error on all discs on his PS3, unfortunately it meant sending it to Sony for repair and it took 2 and a half weeks for return.

Call Sony support line and report the issue, also make sure you don't leave a disc in the machine like my colleague did, it took 7 weeks for it to be returned.

I may have to change the laser then!? but i am annoyed it still works after a while so its not fully dead, it just requires disc swapping and a wait.

any suggestions on what to clean a BD lens with?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lenz View Post
    any suggestions on what to clean a BD lens with?
    I know for the PS1/PS2 laser I used to clean them with Isopropyl Alcohol.. haven't actually had to clean a PS3 lens yet myself but that is probably what I'd use if I did.

Thumbs Up Warranty

I went on continuous play and joined up for a fiver a month when i had this issue no questions asked i had a new 60gb ps3 2 days later there was no chance i was paying 150!!!

lol, that was a good idea! now all i need is a time machine

As mentioned before, try cleaning the lense with something alcohol based (I use aftershave )

It also helps to re-grease the laser sled & rails, as this allows the laser to move smoothly to the correct position.

Also make sure the inside of the drive is SPOTLESS - dust/dirt build-up on any moving parts will lower performance, and at the worst cause you problems with media.

Yes you may have a bad laser, I bought one stating **NEW**, but when I received it, it obviously wasn't. It didn't even work! I fix a lot of consoles including Xbox 360's which are well known for their crappy DVDROMs and quality of build in general. Sony have a good reputation which is shown by the PS3's rock solid performance & reliability.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    alot of the kes-400a lasers out there are referb's being sold as new after being fitted with a new diode. It is possible you may have got a bad one...

But if the laser is totally dead the drive wont spin up....
    I hope I understand the above statement correctly. Is this some inbuilt fail safe?

Is it possible to repair the drive by replacing the laser assembly or the diode only?
    Last edited by getcarter; 05-21-2009 at 07:37 PM

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News