Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Is there a way to extract files from .dat backups?

Sponsored Links
    Ok this is a noob question but I don't know the simple answer.... so if someone can help me...

This is because I deleted the playstation 3 backup with the console on the external hard drive (yes I pressed delete instead of restore...) so I've used Glary Utilities on the external hard disk to recover the "deleted" files.

Now I'm without a backup and lost all the saves of my games... but I have the backup on the pc. Now if I take back the files from the pc on the ps3 folder created on the external hard drive the console doesn't recognize the backup...

Is there a way to take the savedata from the .dat files of the backup? Probably not since they are encrypted files right?
    Best Answer - Posted by internetfloozy:

This has been tried many times before (including by me) and not long after was told it doesn't work. A PC just can't read the PS3 files the way they are meant to be so even if the .dat file could be extracted you probably can't do anything with them.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This has been tried many times before (including by me) and not long after was told it doesn't work. A PC just can't read the PS3 files the way they are meant to be so even if the .dat file could be extracted you probably can't do anything with them.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by internetfloozy View Post
    And why even if I have all the files if I put them in the folder the console doesn't recognize them anymore? Is because I restored them on the pc after they were "deleted" by the console??

I don't think much is known about exactly how the PS3 deletes files but the file system is totally different then a PC.

The windows data recovery software will do its best to find signatures in the hex that indicate known file types. So if it comes across the two characters "PK" the file may be a .ZIP archive file, or the two characters are "BM" the file may be a .BMP bitmap image.

It then does its best to locate the end of the file and recovers it as a zip or bmp even though those characters could be totally random and part of the encryption.

Ok now I know that I completely lost my save files...

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News