Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] Swap PS3 blu-ray or fix/replace lens?

Sponsored Links
    Hey guys...I may be a little bit of a newb in terms of the PS3. But I may have a deal for a broken PS3, the problem is with the Blu-ray drive. I know my way around electronics and have modded many consoles.

But because I haven't taken apart a PS3 myself just yet... I'm wondering if the blu-ray drive is easily swappable as it shows on this [Register or Login to view links] or is it best to just clean or replace the blu-ray lens.

Let me know your thoughts?... thanks

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Here is a related guide on it also: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-gu...ns-100237.html

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    My advice is to check to see if the laser fires at all. All you do is take apart the ps3 up to the point you see the lens and then you make sure everything is still connected and fire up the ps3 and trick it into thinking a disc is being inserted. You should see the lens flash a purplish color.

In that case then it is probably the lens. If you don't then the laser is probably bad. I just replaced my entire optical deck. What you see the guy in that vid doing is just swapping the mother board of the optical drive. I actually replaced the laser and the rail it sits on. I think this would be easier money wise. Plus I don't know any place that sells entire drives.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    My advice is to check to see if the laser fires at all. All you do is take apart the ps3 up to the point you see the lens and then you make sure everything is still connected and fire up the ps3 and trick it into thinking a disc is being inserted. You should see the lens flash a purplish color.

In that case then it is probably the lens. If you don't then the laser is probably bad. I just replaced my entire optical deck. What you see the guy in that vid doing is just swapping the mother board of the optical drive. I actually replaced the laser and the rail it sits on. I think this would be easier money wise. Plus I don't know any place that sells entire drives.
    True it may be easier and cheaper to just replace or clean the lens. In terms of replacing the laser would any do or have to specific to the PS3?

Yes. Seeing that you have the 60gb model you will need the laser KEM-400AAA. I also suggest that when you do replace the laser test it all before you put everything back together. I know putting the drive cover back on can seem a little tricky but it is not that difficult to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    Yes. Seeing that you have the 60gb model you will need the laser KEM-400AAA. I also suggest that when you do replace the laser test it all before you put everything back together. I know putting the drive cover back on can seem a little tricky but it is not that difficult to figure out.
    Actually its a 20GB model.

I believe it uses the same laser. If anything you can try taking your ps3 apart and looking at the laser. You can clearly see a difference between the KEM-400AAA and the other laser. There are only two different types of lasers being used. So just check psxboy or some other online retailer. I think yours is gonna be the KEM-400AAA though.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News