Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] storing .MKV movies on the ps3 hard drive help?

Sponsored Links
    hello there, right since the ps3 on recognizes FAT32 as external forces me to try and store them on the internal ps3 hard drive. i can store the files <4GB on my external but not the >4GB because of fat32 limitations. i was wounding how can i store them on the ps3 with them being recognized either by a BU manager or on the xmb.

i tried it before but i only got 1/3 movies working. i copied it to the movies folder on the internal hdd and then there is 2 extra files needed, so i got them and renamed them to the name of the movie and it didn't work. so then i went into the recovery menu and done a hard drive rebuild and wala it worked, well only one did but still...

so i was wondering if anyone knows how to store and play back movies on the internal hard drive, files being more than 4GB and in some of these formats... MKV, AVI and 2DTS.

any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    AVI and MPEG works on the PS3. You can split files which are bigger than 4GB and copy it to external HDD or let them be >4GB and transfer it with FTP to internal drive.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by oVERSoLDiER View Post
    AVI and MPEG works on the PS3. You can split files which are bigger than 4GB and copy it to external HDD or let them be >4GB and transfer it with FTP to internal drive.
    This is not enough. You have to do something more or ps3 not recognize videos.

I would like to know it too.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by oVERSoLDiER View Post
    yeah i stated that in my post, you need to get the other two files to rocognise the main video but it doesn't work for all using the recovery menu. that's why i ask if anyone knows another way.

At the moment the only mountable video format from internal HDD on jailbroken PS3 are either AVCHD, Blu-Ray (Non BD-J), VOB.

As for AVI, WMV, MP4 files that are natively supported by PS3 all depends on how you split the files, technically you need to reencode/transcode the files into playable segments, just splitting it using splliting software wont do it. MKV is a dead end for now, unless you use PS3 Media Server and stream it directly from your PC to your PS3, and I have no idea what format is 2DTS, did you mean M2TS ?

Just use mkv2vob converter to convert *.mkv to MPEG and the program split it for you in 1, 2 or 4 GB files, so you can use your external HDD to get the movies to your PS3, so what's the problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by punyon View Post
    At the moment the only mountable video format from internal HDD on jailbroken PS3 are either AVCHD, Blu-Ray (Non BD-J), VOB.

As for AVI, WMV, MP4 files that are natively supported by PS3 all depends on how you split the files, technically you need to reencode/transcode the files into playable segments, just splitting it using splliting software wont do it. MKV is a dead end for now, unless you use PS3 Media Server and stream it directly from your PC to your PS3, and I have no idea what format is 2DTS, did you mean M2TS ?
    how do you mount VOB files then?

When you copy videos from usb, where does the ps3 hard drive store them, in what folder?

I think this is what alot of us want to know, i asked about 2 months back.

Quote Originally Posted by msr View Post
    When you copy videos from usb, where does the ps3 hard drive store them, in what folder?

I think this is what alot of us want to know, i asked about 2 months back.
    it stores them in the video folder but i just need to know how to mount them is it the same as mounting ps3 games? if so then i copy the movie to my gamez folder, but then if i put the file in a folder will the BU manager recognise it ?

When I put videos/movies on my ps3 from a usb device, they go into a folder with the date on them (IE. If I did it today, the folder would be called 11-12-2010). You can change what folder the videos are in by clicking Triangle on it, then clicking on information and changing the album to whichever folder you want them to be in.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News