Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Sometimes PS3 drive reads discs, sometimes not

Sponsored Links
    Hi everyone!

I hope someone can help with my problem. Why does my PS3 sometimes read and sometimes does not read discs? (more failures than proper startings - no info in the XMB that there is a disc inside, code 80010514, 80010516 (rarely), freezings immediately after launching black screen when reads the disc).

Everything happened at the of update fw to 3.41 (few days ago), earlier there were no suspicious signs. Two hours after the update console froze while playing God of War 3 and I had to turn off the power. Since then there is a problem.
    Few remarks:

- console has never been moved while playing, standing all the time in vertical position
    - I have used all of the recovery options, fan test (that as loud as vacuum cleaner)
    - what is really interesting - every few hours I am able to play any game for several minutes and then it freezes. There is no problem with no-disc based games.

Does this problem mean laser replacement? I would accept the dead laser if there were constant failures during the reading, but someting seems to be strange for me, when it works sometimes.

PS3: 80GB CECHL04

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It could be a laser problem, but your description makes me think it is a heat issue where over time the system warms up and something on the mobo let's go. I had an issue similar to what you are describing. Where watching movies or disc based games would cause the system to freeze after a time. Yet games on the hard drive I could play with no problem.

You can try to the reflowing of the chips on the mobo in my experience it helped for a time but only for a month or 2 at best then went back. I eventually sold it for 200 in store credit when gamestop was doing a trade in special.

I am not an expert, but I think when console overheats, then is warm or at least the air blown at the back is hot - nothing like this happens in this case and the air blown out should be fine. Or I am wrong, then sorry for talking nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by sebek0070 View Post
    I am not an expert, but I think when console overheats, then is warm or at least the air blown at the back is hot - nothing like this happens in this case and the air blown out should be fine. Or I am wrong, then sorry for talking nonsense.
    This is not always the case, if the damage is already done it may not need to get that hot until something lets go. In my case it would be as short as 5 mins before the video would freeze. That let me know it was the graphics chip cause the system would still respond but the only way to get it to unfreeze was a hard reset.

Quote Originally Posted by sebek0070 View Post
    There is no problem with no-disc based games.
    So this is a good sign, the mainboard obviously does not sufffer from overheating problems. The CECHL is one of the less power consuming fat models and I have never seen overheat problems with my CECHL. The error 80010514 is mostly reported to be a blu-ray read error but I suspect it more to be a communication error with the BD drive. Maybe changes in drivers of FW3.41 or a maybe included BD-FW update unveiled the problem.

So:

- have you already tried the 'fixed' 3.41 FW? (see http://www.ps3news.com/forums/downlo...o=file&id=4285)
    - are you able to play any BD or DVD movies flawlessly?

Wink

have you tried cleanning your laser lens?

i agree with the fact it could be a laser issue or it could be just a software conflict. my friend had the same issue and then it turned into an issue where it wouldnt read any disc. the link no longer exist but what we did was googled the probelm ps3 won't read disc and there was a solution that worked which was factory reset and and another option (i forgot the name).

we did both and bam! his system read all discs again and has been fine since last april. i wish the link was still available because I cannot remember what were the steps we took but just google around and hopefully you'll find the solution like we did.

hope that helps!

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News