Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] Setting the firmware version in a PS3 game's param.sfo ?

Sponsored Links
    Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the firmware requirement of a PS3 game's param.sfo ..

Have a look at this post: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/site-n...tml#post195190

The following is mentioned here:
    Take this .PKG TITLE and then grab an edited (to FW v1.00) PARAM.SFO file
    In the above phrase, 'PARAM.SFO' is actually an attachment link, which is no longer working. Apparently, it has been edited to a firmware version requirement of 1.00 ... Can someone please tell me how this was achieved ?

I have some other PARAM.SFOs of some other games, but I don't know how to change their firmware version ...

Please do help me out here people .. Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links

Red Face

Sponsored Links
    Well, its actually very simple, open the SFO in a hex editor and edit the FW version. The problem however lies in sending the SFO back to the PS3, it is not that easy.

Furthermore in many newer games the executables (ie the ELF/SELF) have the compiled with SDK Version embedded in them, and they fail if the version of the PS3 is not equal to or higher.

Also, check out http://brdgen.ps3news.com/ , near the bottom there is an SFO editor for the PS3 and PSP, it should do the job for you if you are not handy with a hex editor.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Wait are you trying to do this with a pkg or a game save? Because if you are trying to do it with a pkg file the file has to be resigned with the key only sony has at the moment. If you are trying to do it with a save it wont help you accomplish anything.

I am trying to do this with the Resistance 2 BETA PKG file ..

open the SFO in a hex editor and edit the FW version
    How do I do that ? I downloaded the SFO Editor you mentioned, and I cannot see any FW version field .. ?!

You can't edit the beta pkg. All pkg files that sony makes are signed with a special key that no one has or cracked yet. So it is impossible for you to run a pkg after editing the file you are trying to edit.

I am not trying to edit the PKG file itself .. I know that an edited PKG is of no use .. I am just trying to edit the SFO file, which lies outside the PKG itself .. And according to this article: ....

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/site-n...tml#post195190

....editing the FW version in the SFO is quite alright ...

I just need to know how to change the firmware version in the SFO file, thats all ..

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, its actually very simple, open the SFO in a hex editor and edit the FW version.
    To better explain my problem, I am presenting a view of that SFO editing program you have recommended ..

I don't know which field above corresponds to the required firmware version ..

Also, I don't think that program displays the actual values of the mentioned fields in the value column ...

I'm OK with Winhex, so if you think that is the better tool (which in this case, it is in my opinion), please guide me on how to edit the param.sfo through Winhex ...

Help needed on this one fellas ...
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

sfoedithl0.jpg  
    Last edited by AhmadkaX2; 08-23-2008 at 06:59 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Take a look in winhex, the SFO's version should be "2.40"

Do a text search for it, there is only one, and then change it!

The problem lies in getting the file back on the PS3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Take a look in winhex, the SFO's version should be "2.40"

Do a text search for it, there is only one, and then change it!

The problem lies in getting the file back on the PS3 though.
    First of all, thanx for replying CJPC

Now coming to the matter at hand .. Can you tell me which PS3 game's param.sfo has the 2.40 written in it ... ? Which game is that ?

Secondly, I have seen the param.sfo's from a variety of PS3 games, and none of them have the firmware version written up in them as plainly as 2.40 in the text .. .... This leads me to believe that maybe the param.sfo's I am seeing are not the right ones ?? Just to let you know, I am getting the param.sfo's for various PS3 games, by downloading a game save for that game, and then opening up the param.sfo in there ... are these the correct param.sfo's ??

Awaiting your reply ..

Well, the 2.40 is for Resistance 2 specifically. Take a look at the attached image. I opened the Resistance 2 SFO in a hex editor, and highlighted the area to change.

Like I said before, there are other issues as why this may not work due to the embedded SDK Version inside the SELF that can not be changed on a retail system.

And sadly no, that is not the correct SFO.

The correct SFO is located in the ROOT game folder, (ie on a BD Disk, its /PS3_GAME/PARAM.SFO), so it has nothing to do with the SAVE's SFO (as in executing the game).
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

resistance2-sfo.png  

Firstly, thanx again for replying ... now for some questions:

1) In the following post at this place: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/site-n...tml#post195190, it says the following:

Take this .PKG TITLE and then grab an edited (to FW v1.00) PARAM.SFO file (or edit your own if you wish, grabbing one such as [Register or Login to view links] from Warhawk) and then once again using a PC hex editor such as WinHex change the TITLE ID to match the .PKG file you wish to run and save it... in this case it's NPUB30006.
    The above leads me to believe the the param.sfo that needs to be edited can be the corrent param.sfo from any PS3 game .. you just need to change the Title ID in it, so that it matches that from the PKG ... Is this correct ?

2) In relation with the above question, during the entire param.sfo process, the PKG itself remains untouched right ?

3) Finally, you mentioned:

I opened the Resistance 2 SFO in a hex editor, and highlighted the area to change.
    How were you able to get the correct param.sfo for a game that still has to be released ?? If possible, could you tell me how I can get this too please ?

Awaiting your reply

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News