Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well, I think there is some information you are missing.

When a PKG is installed to the PS3 (among other things) it extracts all its files to a special directory. In those files is the PARAM.SFO.

So then, one can get the file from the directory (mind you, the PKG is gone, it has already been extracted), edit it, and replace it.

The problem is, you can't do this on a retail system anymore. Possibly with 1-2 games, that use online update features , that you can edit files passed to it. Games like Resistance, Warhawk and a few others worked this way, alas most do not any more.

And yes, one could in theory use any PARAM.SFO, but you should not. The SFO includes other details in regards to Audio/Video resolutions, game type (save, executable, patch), remote play etc.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanx for your reply again ..

Can you please relate what you have written above to the following:

Take this .PKG TITLE and then grab an edited (to FW v1.00) PARAM.SFO file (or edit your own if you wish, grabbing one such as [Register or Login to view links] from Warhawk) and then once again using a PC hex editor such as WinHex change the TITLE ID to match the .PKG file you wish to run and save it... in this case it's NPUB30006.
    Does the PKG already have to be installed on the PS3, before you can do the paramsfo editing ?? Can't this SFO editing be done before transfering the file to the PS3 ?

Also, again, how were you able to get the Resistance 2's param.sfo ?? beats me ..
    Doesn't the above mean that this param.sfo editing can be done on the PC before transfering the PKG and SFO to the PS3 .. ??
    According to the above, it leads me to believe that this hack can be done, while

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by AhmadkaX2 View Post
    Can you please relate what you have written above to the following:
    Basically what it says, is Edit the SFO, save it, and stick it on the PS3.

The Issue yet again is putting it on the PS3. This can not be done before its transferred to the PS3 on a Retail unit.

The Resistance 2 Param.sfo came from the Beta Version, from the PKG located at http://ps3news.com/subdomain.php?pagename=psn.

Thanx for your reply again CJPC ..

The Issue yet again is putting it on the PS3. This can not be done before its transferred to the PS3 on a Retail unit.
    So can't we do this:

1) Install the PKG as it is on the PS3
    2) Grab the param.sfo
    3) Edit it
    4) Overwrite the original param.sfo in the PS3 ?

Also, is there anyway to extract the param.sfo from a PKG file, by just using your PC ? i.e. Is there any PKG extraction tool available ??

If not, could you tell me how to get the Resistance 2 param.sfo from from PS3 HDD ? The Resistance 2 BETA is installed in it right now ...

No, there is currently no way to extract a retail pkg on a PC, yet.

Furthermore, with a retail it is not yet possible to grab the SFO from the HDD yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

Furthermore, with a retail it is not yet possible to grab the SFO from the HDD yet either.
    Can you do this with a debug? how?

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

Sorry I couldn't reply before ... been really busy these past few days ..

Anyways, then how were you able to access the Resistance 2 param.sfo (that screenshot you posted earlier showing the Resistance 2 param.sfo) ?? Is that being shown from Linux running on your PS3 ?

Nope, A TEST unit was used. The PKG was installed on the TEST, then the PC accessed the TEST and retreived the file from the Resistance 2 BETA version, that was installed by the aforementioned PKG!

Alright thanx for all your help CJPC ..

So just to sum up this entire discussion, it seems to me that everything written in this post: ..

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/site-n...tml#post195190

... is just not possible now ?? I'm putting it this way because everything I have asked, you reply that its not possible .. ...

Is there anything written in the above mentioned in above article which is still possible on a retail PS3 ?

CPJC could you please help me with the above please ?? ....

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News