Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] Question about PS3 Data Transfer Utility

Sponsored Links
    Ok, say my friend bought a brand spanking new PS3 and wanted the 50+ psn games i have on my ps3. I have 2 HDD's with the exact same data on them. Both HDD's are activated and working properly. Couldn't i just use the transfer utility to transfer the data to my friends ps3 then replace HDD1 with HDD2 on the source ps3 and everything work properly?

HDD1 gets deactivated during the use of the data transfer utility
    Replace HDD1 with HDD2
    Enjoy 50+ PSN Games on both PS3's?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't think the hard drive swap would work, due to how the PlayStation is with swapping hard drives. I'm not entirely sure about what you're trying to do, so maybe someone more experienced can come along and confirm or deny if it would work. I haven't down a hard drive swap yet, as I have had no need to so far.

If the HDD swap doesn't work, (and if you trust him to the end of the earth) here's how he can get your 50+ PSN games (I know some people do this, but I haven't done it and I don't plan to):

1. Remove all the payment information on your PSN account, and set up a temporary password.
    2. Get him to make a new user account on his PS3.
    3. Give your PSN information to your friend, and have him log in with your info under his new user account.
    4. Tell him to go to the download tab and get the games he wants. The games, once downloaded to the hard drive, shouldlet him use them under his own user account, since it would be using the games section of the hard drive. After he's done, sign in on your PSN account under your machine and change the password back and re-add your payment information.

If he upgrades his hard drive he might have to re-do this process to get the games again, as the back-up utility might not save the games themselves.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    no it don't work, if you put the hdd in your friends ps3, it will be formatted...

Quote Originally Posted by iAmTux View Post
    no it don't work, if you put the hdd in your friends ps3, it will be formatted...
    I think you didn't understand the OP's question.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Of course there's no way to be sure unless someone gives it a try

basically i have 2 ps3's, i want them both to have the same data. how do i do that?

Lightbulb

If you haven't read though it already this link on Sony's PS3 Data Transfer Utility may help:

[Register or Login to view links]

I haven't used it myself, but it sounds like it will do what you are seeking as long as you don't mind overwriting data on the destination drive:
    You can now transfer (copy or move) data that is saved on one PS3™ system's hard disk to another PS3™ system's hard disk using an Ethernet cable

When you perform this operation, all data that is stored on the PS3™ system that will receive the data (the "destination system”) will be deleted.

ok, what about the deactivate part of the data transfer utility? what happens when i deactivate? will i lose the ability play the games on the source ps3?

That is a good question which should have been covered in their guide, but since it isn't if I was you I'd call PlayStation Support and ask: 1-800-345-7669.

If anyone has actually used the PS3 Data Transfer Utility and knows the answer already, feel free to reply and I will +Rep ya.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News