Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] PS3 YLOD Permanent Fix help?

Sponsored Links
    Is there a permanent fix for PS3 and still have to console look Normal? I did the YLOD fix on friend's PS3 but from what I hear , those don't get fix forever so I was wondering if anybody has fix their and it is still working for quite awhile ? and does Fan modding is the best way to go ?
    Best Answer - Posted by SwordOfWar:

If you get the YLoD the system is basically screwed, and any fixes (even reballing in my opinion) are only temporary solutions.

Most reball repairs only reball a specific area, like the GPU and fewer reball the CPU. It is possible the issue can happen on any of the solder points on the motherboard so other aras can fail even if the reball on the GPU/CPU holds up.

YLoD is caused by overheating, and poor quality solder. The overheating could have (and most likely) caused degradation of the chips, significantly reducing the life of those chips.

Like the post above me, reballing as well as reflowing can also increase the problem because you have to subject the motherboard and it's components to even more heat for those procedures to be successful, it may get the system running temporarily, but you won't notice the damage until it fails again later on.

You're better off getting it running, sell it to a pawn shop and buy a new PS3 if you need PS3 compatibility.

I spent money getting my PS3 reballed and it failed again a few months later, so I'm just trying to save you some cash.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i fixed an old 80gb fat ps3 with ylod cleaned the full console and it was working perfect still today

there are some consoles that need reballing tho also using a cooling pad underneath the ps3 works well stops the board getting hot to melt the balls under the gpu and cpu

hope this helps

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Reball. Is about the only way. A reflow and a good cleaning will work for only so long. This is because Sony didn't use leaded solder under the CPU. Thanks.

I also got YLOD problem on my PS3, did reball it in my case (repair while you wait basis, doing the repair just right in front of you) from trusted technician who were experts reballing Laptop GPU.

Been 5 months already seems to be working just fine now like it was before.

So even a fan mod won't keep this from happening ?

^ nope that wont work, it's like you cant fix a corroded pipe with just using a sealant, it may solve the leak problem but in the end, it will still end up to square 1 for the leak problem later on.

also there are greater risk reflowing a motherboard, you might be potentially damaged it in what so called "thermal shock" if you messed up in reflow process.

If you get the YLoD the system is basically screwed, and any fixes (even reballing in my opinion) are only temporary solutions.

Most reball repairs only reball a specific area, like the GPU and fewer reball the CPU. It is possible the issue can happen on any of the solder points on the motherboard so other aras can fail even if the reball on the GPU/CPU holds up.

YLoD is caused by overheating, and poor quality solder. The overheating could have (and most likely) caused degradation of the chips, significantly reducing the life of those chips.

Like the post above me, reballing as well as reflowing can also increase the problem because you have to subject the motherboard and it's components to even more heat for those procedures to be successful, it may get the system running temporarily, but you won't notice the damage until it fails again later on.

You're better off getting it running, sell it to a pawn shop and buy a new PS3 if you need PS3 compatibility.

I spent money getting my PS3 reballed and it failed again a few months later, so I'm just trying to save you some cash.

I reballed my sons ps3 60gig about 3 years ago and still works great. Also put a bigger fan in it and a cooler power supply. So I guess we will wait and see. Thanks.

I don't think there is any "permanent" fix, just temporary solutions. A reball seems like the most lasting solution. I have a fat that I fixed myself (reballing) and a slim that I damaged trying to do a reball, it got so hot and some other important components fell off. I recommend giving it to a professional.

My suggestions:

1.) Put in a new fan.
    2.) New Thermal Paste
    3.) Purchase a Fan that goes underneath the Device (such as a PC fan cooler)
    4.) Apply more heat absorbent pads and stick them into some portions of the console.

Personal recommendations

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News