Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 Support 1TB or 2TB help?

Sponsored Links
    Hi Guys,

I have Fat PS3, 80GB HDD. Now I plan to purchase Extrernal HDD 1TB or 2TB but I want to know which HDD is compatible with my ps3. Can I use 3.5inch External HDD or I have to use 2.5inch to play PS3 Games.

After Purchase one of the HDD like said 1TB or 2TB which I have to format Fat32 right ?
    What happen if i format NTFS.. can my ps3 set support the HDD or we have to format FAT32 once we got the new hdd..

Lasty , which is better 2.5inch or 3.5inch and what brand should i purchase for external.

Thanks.
    Best Answer - Posted by Tidusnake666:

Okay, listen up.

1. I would go internal. It's much quicker in every aspect. Loading games from internal and backing up from disk to HDD is waaaaay to faster with internal HDD. And you won't have to "double copy" - first from PC to ext. HDD, then from ext. HDD to PS3, which would cost time. The only cons I see with internal - is that you have to use FTP to transfer games, which is rather simple and there is a hell a lot of tutorials, but it may be a bit of troublesome. And yeah, once the disk is internal, you can't use it for other means, than in a PS3.

2. For internal - it is only 2,5; for external - both will do, but 3,5 will require additional power, thus requiring to plug HDD into a socket to a wall. I strongly recommend 2,5.

3. About formatting, I reccomend FAT32 too, NTFS is quite raw here, and practically useless outside multiman. If you're on Ubuntu, formatting to FAT32 will be a piece of cake, on Windows you need to have special tool (like fat32format.exe or other), because Windows does not support formating in FAT32 HDD>32 Gb. On Mac only God knows how to format in FAT32, I have no idea, never used it.

4. Which brand? I recomend with the longest warranty. External HDDs have quite a short lifespan if used improperly (unplugging while still spinning, shaking, dropping). I don't know exactly, I once used Hitachi and it was like a piece of sh*t. My girlfriend uses Transcend and it's okay. Brobably go for Transcend too, it has a good customer support.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i'd go external, you can buy any brand of ext hdd 2tb will be fine.. plug into pc usb and use a program to format to fat 32, such as partition manager and plug into usb of ps3 and it will work.. multiman latest version supports ntfs but i don't bother.. it would be great for games with 4gb+ files but there aren't too many.. put them internal hdd.. good luck!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Okay, listen up.

1. I would go internal. It's much quicker in every aspect. Loading games from internal and backing up from disk to HDD is waaaaay to faster with internal HDD. And you won't have to "double copy" - first from PC to ext. HDD, then from ext. HDD to PS3, which would cost time. The only cons I see with internal - is that you have to use FTP to transfer games, which is rather simple and there is a hell a lot of tutorials, but it may be a bit of troublesome. And yeah, once the disk is internal, you can't use it for other means, than in a PS3.

2. For internal - it is only 2,5; for external - both will do, but 3,5 will require additional power, thus requiring to plug HDD into a socket to a wall. I strongly recommend 2,5.

3. About formatting, I reccomend FAT32 too, NTFS is quite raw here, and practically useless outside multiman. If you're on Ubuntu, formatting to FAT32 will be a piece of cake, on Windows you need to have special tool (like fat32format.exe or other), because Windows does not support formating in FAT32 HDD>32 Gb. On Mac only God knows how to format in FAT32, I have no idea, never used it.

4. Which brand? I recomend with the longest warranty. External HDDs have quite a short lifespan if used improperly (unplugging while still spinning, shaking, dropping). I don't know exactly, I once used Hitachi and it was like a piece of sh*t. My girlfriend uses Transcend and it's okay. Brobably go for Transcend too, it has a good customer support.

i agree with the above post about hitachi being a sucky external hdd. the reason i bought hitachi in the first place is because i remembered someone said that the ps3' internal stock hdd is also from hitachi. i have 1tb hitachi which i use to store my ps3 games. whenever i connect the hdd through usb on the ps3 the connection mysteriously cut off during access and i have to restart the ps3 in order for the hdd to be detected again by the ps3.

40 gig fujitsu brand is stock ps3 in mine it was anyway.. i like external better.. i have my internet settings off in xmb.. ftp too much a stuff around for me..

** if you do go internal make sure you have the right firmware (version 2 fix) of the firmware you need eg3.60 v2.. and if the 4 small screws are tight play your ps3 for 1/2 hour to heat up drive and will transfer heat to caddy and shrink metal and easy to get undone.. just make sure you have the correct size driver as i've heard these screws are easy to strip the head..

** i upgraded to a western digital 500g internal and my ps3 runs alot cooler.. this may be very important to you.. its so easy to drop and drag from pc to ext hdd and then plug into ps3..

** any wd or seagate brand drive is what i'd recommend..ive cained my wd 1tb for years constant 24hr a day d/l and u/l many formats done etc for years and still works as good as day i got it..

I use an internal 500GB WD Caviar Blue in my PS3. I also purchased a cheap ($7) 2.5" enclosure and put the original 120GB from my PS3 in it to use as the external drive to run games that require the Select+X method. This has worked very well for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by severusx View Post
    I use an internal 500GB WD Caviar Blue in my PS3. I also purchased a cheap ($7) 2.5" enclosure and put the original 120GB from my PS3 in it to use as the external drive to run games that require the Select+X method. This has worked very well for me so far.
    Best way to go.

THank Guys for the reply. Now I know what to choose for my PS3 Gaming. As I'm new to PS3 , I will choose External 2.5inch 1TB as I don't really input alot of games.

Just wanna play Uncharted 1 & 2 , Yakuza 3 and 4 , PES 2012 & FIFA 12 (Coming Soon) , LA Noire hopefully can play on External , GOW Collection , KiLLZone 2 & 3 and MK ..

Thanks once again guys for the reply and info..

No problem. If you question has been answered, please choose the best answer and close the thread.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News