[Answered] PS3 questions, been out of the loop help?

So I've been away from the console scene for quite a while and need some general information or suggestions.

I was taking a look at the new firmwares and their features in this thread - http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-cf...ve-125504.html

Is there any reason why I shouldn't upgrade from Rebug 3.55 (forgot which version)? I see they still make a 3.55 version, for what reason? I don't know if I should install Rebug 4.30.1 or Rebug Rex 4.21.2.

On that note I have an old version of Rogero manager. What programs should I use as:

1 - Game manager
    2 - To split files (I assume managers recombine automatically?)
    3 - To download patches

I remember pretty much nothing, I'll have to look up things one at a time and any suggestions would be appreciated.

me too mate. deciding if i should upgrade to 4.31 or something from 3.55 rebug too.

To me 3.55 is pretty much outdated and no need to stay on it. Update to latest Rebug or Rogero depending upon your choice. I would personally wait until DEX 4.40 is released so a proper CFW can be built

If you do update to latest Rebug, you will need to use latest Multiman. The Rogero manager you are using will not work, and Rogero has never updated it to work with latest CFW's

To split files, you will still need to use a program on PC first such as PS3 Splitter, then yes Multiman will join the files properly if putting on Internal PS3 hdd

To download game updates, use Aldostools game updater to search and download them, then install on PS3 via USB.

Well I noticed the ones I mentioned aren't even the latest. Looked around and ran into this - http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-cfw-mfw/r...n-ps3-cfw-out/

So I guess I should update to REBUG 4.30.2 D-REX EDITION until a 4.40 version of it is released?

I found my old folder of PS3 tools and I have a simple splitter called OpenSplit (v1.2). Rogero Manager IIRC automatically recombined files and I'm not sure what manager I want to use. I see one of the latest posts is Iris Manager, might as well give it a try... I assume something that's recent such as that does automatic combining?

As for updates, the program I had was Awesome Updater which is severely outdated and required the ID code which is sometimes irritating to find (or some games have more than one for the same region for some reason?). Aldo's PS3 Game Updates tool is much more useful since it can find title updates by name... though in caps for some reason and it required what appears to be a visual basic dll file.

I do have a few more questions. I'll start with a terrible one, if I delete Rogero Manager it's not going to delete my games is it? I don't remember where the files were. And is there a simple way to dual boot these days or not? I have 2 PS3s, one with the latest OFW but that one overheats so it becomes extremely loud, I'd prefer to use my good PS3 for both OFW and CFW if possible. I'd save some desk space that way as well.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 05-17-2013 at 05:30 AM

I have 2 Consoles, 1 running 3.55cfw and 1 running 4.30.2 spoof 4.41... The reason I havent updated my 3.55 console, is because all my PSN games and backed-up games are already running under 3.55 so to lazy to refix them if i update

BUT if you have 1 CFW console, then no doubt 4xxx is better... Iris Manager, is pretty much a game manager without the BLOAT etc.. e.g. without the flash themes bla bla bla, game compatibility should be near the same. For me I love Multiman, oh and because you can use it as a file manager [haven't really played with Isis if it has a file manager or not] My suggestion? Well actually how I set mine up...

Install Multiman 4.40.x
    Rename your games folder in Rogero using file manager [Multiman] and then delete Rogero. [Just incase it does delete your games] then transfer into the GAMES folder of multiman
    Look for toggle_qa pkg., install it and then make sure you enable it

Then go with REBUG 4.30.2 CFW. You will need the original eboots to the games you have if you patched them for 3.55...

Thats all i can think of at this very moment

To Dual boot you will need a hardware like e3 etc
    Last edited by dyceast; 05-17-2013 at 08:45 AM

Well this is no good. I tried installing Rebug D-Rex 4.30.2 but kept getting an error that it's corrupt from the main update screen and from the recovery update it said nothing was found.

I assumed I need to be in DEX mode for it to be detected and install properly. So I started the switcher program and pressed L1 + Circle to change it to debug mode. I probably pressed start as well which said something about making a folder. I exited and now I get the red screen saying there is a serious error.

What did I screw up and how do I fix this?

Well I fixed it by doing a system update to the same firmware through recovery... then restoring the file system... then the database. Back to square 1 except without PSN games on timers working now. Always nice to know what I paid for doesn't work due to stupid DRM, thanks Sony.

What now? How do I update to that firmware? What was the reason for that red screen?

Since I can just restore the system I tried setting it to debug again since I know it worked in the past, this time making sure not to press start accidentally. Now it's in debug mode but I still can't install the firmware, it shows as corrupt through standard update and through recovery update it isn't detected at all. What am I doing wrong?

I believe I do have QA flags enabled. It's set to debug, normal XMB, debug menu 2. Going to Network and pressing L1 + L2 + L3 + R1 + R2 + Down brings up the debug menu which I think confirms that it is QA flagged?

I have the update as root/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP and it's greyed if I select it from the standard update menu unlike non-debug 4.41 firmware. As I said through recovery it is not detected either, I do have it plugged into the right USB port as guides suggest.

The only thing I'm doing different is that I'm using a wireless pad since I don't have an official PS3 controller (mine broke). Though if having a wireless USB stick in the left USB port somehow caused a problem shouldn't it have affected the 4.41 update as well...

Now I feel silly. I'm guessing I was supposed to install 4.30.2 Rex not D-Rex. I wish someone mentioned something. 4.30.2 Rex installed with no problems. I haven't tested anything yet. I'll report back when I do.

Well everything seems to be in order. Except for one thing... I tried using Iris Manager and that seems to murder my PS3. The fans max out and the yellow light starts blinking, it seems to be the PS3 screaming for mercy trying to indicate it's overheating. Iris Manager is the only program/anything that causes this. My main PS3 is very well maintained, it shouldn't overheat for any reason.

That being said the Toolbox shows that the CPU while idle is 72C and the GPU is 67C. Is that normal? I uninstalled Iris Manager and installed Multiman. Right now I'm copying a game onto the internal HDD that has an 8GB+ file split into 9 parts to see if it auto combines them. It seems to be able to read NTFS by switching drivers so it seems I could have just directly copied the large file?

I've been meaning to ask how do files 4GB+ get copied onto a FAT32 file system anyway?
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 05-20-2013 at 10:22 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Through PC, use a program like split4g.. It usually comes with the Full package of Multiman. Through PC as you already know, Multiman does the split and join automatically..

NTFS is not recommended. Although it could work, just think of it as its in a Beta stage... I remember trying NTFS a while back and it just crashed, and needed to rebuild.

Sorry don't know much about Iris Manager