Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 overheats when game/movie in use help?

Sponsored Links
    Hasn't arrived yet but was wanting ideas, i.e clogged fan, bad paste etc. Seller says whenever a disc is in after a few minutes it crashes and the fans speed up to maximum

The seller used a extra store bought fan that was placed on back so wonder if that did something.
    Best Answer - Posted by brendanj9554:

ok, the heatspreaders are held down by an adhesive thermal compound, on the cpu heatspreader you need to get a razor blade and push it into the edges of the spreader, the gpu is much easier, use a heat gun, heat up the spreader for 30 - 40 seconds and prize/lift with a blade (if it doesnt come up with minimal force it isnt hot enough)

i replaced the thermal compound with arctic silver mx4 only. didnt bother with the adhesive, was just carefull when refitting the sinks, (artic silver has a good sticky bond so spreaders stayed in place)

youtube search ps3 cpu heatspreader removal etc, vids are always more informative

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    had this on one of my systems a few months back, replaced the thermal compound and cleaned out... same problem..

then went deeper and replaced the thermal compound under both heatspreaders on the cpu & gpu, worked perfectly ever since. hope this gives you a bit of insight bud.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    How did you get the heatpads off and what did you use to hold them down when putting them back on?

ok, the heatspreaders are held down by an adhesive thermal compound, on the cpu heatspreader you need to get a razor blade and push it into the edges of the spreader, the gpu is much easier, use a heat gun, heat up the spreader for 30 - 40 seconds and prize/lift with a blade (if it doesnt come up with minimal force it isnt hot enough)

i replaced the thermal compound with arctic silver mx4 only. didnt bother with the adhesive, was just carefull when refitting the sinks, (artic silver has a good sticky bond so spreaders stayed in place)

youtube search ps3 cpu heatspreader removal etc, vids are always more informative
    Last edited by brendanj9554; 12-26-2011 at 05:59 PM

Ah, I have some mx-4 sitting here but it won't be enough to do the chips and heat pads so will try that.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News